a very beginning question

Hi,
  Where can I find the main function of llvm compiler in the source file?
  Thanks!

shding@mtu.edu wrote:

Hi,
  Where can I find the main function of llvm compiler in the source file?
  Thanks!

Well, there's a loaded question. :slight_smile:

It depends on "which" compiler you mean. If you're talking about the llvm-gcc and llvm-g++ compilers (C/C++ to LLVM) then they are in the downloadable tarballs available here: http://llvm.cs.uiuc.edu/releases/. You can also get them via CVS using the llvm-gcc repository name.

If you're talking about the llc compiler (LLVM to machine code), it is in the llvm repository under tools/llc, however most of the code consists of the various libraries that make up LLVM (viewable at http://illuvium.com/cgi-bin/cvsweb.cgi/llvm/lib/), in particular the assembler (lib/AsmParser), Bytecode facilities (lib/Bytecode), code generation code (lib/Codegen), and target-specific translators (lib/Target).

If you're talking about the generic compiler, llvmc, you can find it at the tools/llvmc directory.

If you're talking about the (partially complete) Java interface, you can find it in the llvm-java repository.

If you're talking about the Stacker compiler, you can find it in the llvm repository at projects/Stacker/lib/compiler.

Hope this helps.

Reid

Thank you.
   I'm only consider about how the compiler comiles c program to LLVM IR.
I know there should be a scanner, parser, and IR generator. But where
is the main entrance and how about the flow of the process, especially
about the IR generator?

Thank you.
  I'm only consider about how the compiler comiles c program to LLVM IR.
I know there should be a scanner, parser, and IR generator. But where
is the main entrance and how about the flow of the process, especially
about the IR generator?

This all exists in the llvm-gcc project, which you can check out per Reid's instructions. We use a mostly unmodified GCC lexer and parser (see the gcc internals manual for details). The LLVM specific parts are in the gcc/llvm-* files, most notably llvm-expand.c which converts the GCC AST to LLVM code.

-Chris