Add additional targets to configure.py

Dear all,

Please find attached a patch which add two additional nvptx targets to configure.py. Could this patch please be committed by someone with commit access if this looks ok?

To provide some background: Bugle is a translator developed by Peter Collingbourne and Alastair Donaldson. It takes an OpenCL kernel in nvptx LLVM IR format and outputs an equivalent kernel in the Microsoft Boogie verification language (see also http://multicore.doc.ic.ac.uk/tools/GPUVerify/). The translator uses libclc as it’s OpenCL library, but not the nvidiacl specific overrides, hence, the need for new targets.

Thanks,

Jeroen

0001-Add-Bugle-targets.patch (1.04 KB)

Do these targets require clang 3.5 ?

-Tom

Please find attached a patch which add two additional nvptx targets to configure.py. Could this patch please be committed by someone with commit access if this looks ok?

Do these targets require clang 3.5 ?

No they don’t, basically because we work at the bitcode level and do not care about the actual target machine and neither for that reason does clang care for the third part of the target triple. You can stick in any arbitrary string instead of bugle and things will still work, I believe.

Do you see a better solution instead of two new targets with bugle in their name? The main objective is to get a version of libclc targeted towards nvptx but without the nvidiacl specific overrides (without having to patch libclc manually every time :slight_smile:

Thanks,

Jeroen

R600 just leaves the third part of the triple empty: r600--. Would this
work OK for you? My main concern is that if we add a nvptx--bugle
target and then someone else wants to add nvptx--foo, then we'll have
two targets that produce identical code.

-Tom

I will test your suggestion below and get back to you.

Jeroen

Hi Tom,

Thanks for your suggestion. This seems to work with minor modifications to our tool chain.

New patch with nvptx— and nvptx64— targets attached.

Best,

Jeroen

0001-Add-generic-nvptx-targets.patch (1 KB)

Hi Tom,

I see you committed the updated patch. Thanks!

Jeroen