[analyzer] Spell out ENTO in clang::ento

Hi,

I work with the static analyzer for a while now, but I still don’t know what the abbreviation ENTO stands for. Actually, a huge part of the analyzer resides in the ento namespace. Seems like it used to be called “GR” … Would be also interesting to know what does the GR abbreviations mean.

Thanks!

Hi!

It is a joke. It abbreviates entomology. 1

No, I think this rather an allusion that this stuff supposed to find bugs. In my opinion this is a great example of bad and meaningless naming. “ento” says nothing to a newcomer, neither to experienced folks. I’d rather rename the namespace simply to sa (Static Analyzer). As such I am turning this conversation into an RFC on that renaming suggestion (+cfe-dev again).

In my opinion this is a great example of bad and meaningless naming. “ento” says nothing to a newcomer, neither to experienced folks. I’d rather rename the namespace simply to sa (Static Analyzer).
I strongly share your suggestion. I would love a sensible namespace.

Folks, please share your thoughts on this.

I have no issues renaming ento to something that's more clear, but I
have a hard time agreeing that sa adds enough clarity over ento to be
worth the churn to the code base.

~Aaron

I do not have a strong opinion on the name of the namespace but I do agree with Aaron. A 2 letter namespace would not be a big improvement over ento. What about analyzer?

Cheers,
Gabor

As a first step, I think ento should be added to
https://llvm.org/docs/Lexicon.html

Even if the namespace was renamed, people would keep stumbling upon
"ento" for a while in old docs/code, so being in the glossary would
still help.

I vote for keeping it. It's short, sweet and memorable. Contrary to the previous opinions, I think it's a great name for something like a namespace.