APFloat::toString() handling of MS FLT_MAX and DBL_MAX

Hi All,

I’m rewriting MS C++ code via clang and have an issue involving the printed representations of FLT_MAX and DBL_MAX. In both cases the printed literals exceed the inputs.

From MS float.h:

#define DBL_MAX 1.7976931348623158e+308// Becomes 1.797693134862316E+308

#define FLT_MAX 3.402823466e+38F

// Becomes 3.4028235E+38F

Rewriting the values leads to compilation errors due to the literals exceeding their maximums. This doesn’t altogether surprise me given the nature of FP arithmetic and string conversion but I was wondering if this could/should be treated as a bug given the significance of these values?

• Will.

Hi,

Nothing to do with clang, but why didn’t the code use numeric_limits?

Matthieu

It’s not my code, but I have to support internally transforming it. In addition some C code is also involved which precludes the use of templates. Either way, I have to support it “as is”. Unfortunately :slight_smile:

• Will.

Hi All,

I’m rewriting MS C++ code via clang and have an issue involving the printed representations of FLT_MAX and DBL_MAX. In both cases the printed literals exceed the inputs.

From MS float.h:

#define DBL_MAX 1.7976931348623158e+308
// Becomes 1.797693134862316E+308

#define FLT_MAX 3.402823466e+38F
// Becomes 3.4028235E+38F

Rewriting the values leads to compilation errors due to the literals exceeding their maximums. This doesn’t altogether surprise me given the nature of FP arithmetic and string conversion but I was wondering if this could/should be treated as a bug given the significance of these values?

How are you printing these values out? Libstdc++ or libc++? Does the behavior reproduce under GCC too? I could guess/assume a bug in the standard library implementation you are using, but that’s just a guess

Sorry, I’m not being clear enough. It’s nothing to do with runtime libs. Rather it’s the result of printing out the expanded literal value directly from the AST. For instance:

• Clang parses the DBL_MAX macro into the AST (defined as 1.7976931348623158e+308)
  • Pretty printing out the FloatingLiteral results in: 1.797693134862316E+308
  • Feeding these literals back to MSVC results in: error C2177: constant too big

So my question is: Would it be sensible to try and ensure the printed values never exceed their maximums?

Cheers,
Will.

I just hit this myself (months later!) trying to round-trip floats through strings. I don’t think the problem is printed values exceeding their maximums so much as that APFloat::toString thinks the natural precision for DBL_MAX is one digit shorter than it actually is. I’ll take a look, but someone with more floating-point experience might be able to get to the bottom of this sooner.

Jordan

I ended up with some nasty hacks to work around this issue, so if someone can fix it I’d be eternally grateful.

Done in r189624. (APFloat::toString really needs another look from someone who’s really an expert at floating-point stuff, but at least the default behavior is sane.)

-Eli