Apple's Swift language, will it come to public clang?

Hey everyone.

I just finished watching the Apple WWDC 2014 keynote and I really want to get more into using Swift. It has named parameters, a language functionality that I really value for languages - if scripted or compiled. So I wanted to ask: Do you folks think that this language will be made available to non-Mac computers, or will it be similar to C# and be a serious „platform-only“ thing?

Kind regards,

Ingwie.

Hi Kevin,

We don't have anything to say about that at this point, but you can read all about swift, for free, with the new Swift iBook.

-Chris

Kevin wrote:

(…) or will it be similar to C# and be a serious „platform-only“ thing?

IMHO since it is a part of LLVM project, there's nothing that makes it platform specific. Clang supports various ObjC runtimes, so I presume Swift will follow.

Chris wrote:

We don't have anything to say about that at this point, but you can read all about swift, for free, with the new Swift iBook.

I am after my 1st read. So far what makes me curious is whether there will be a way to keep class instances on stack. From what I understood all classes are pointers where value types are not.

Not sure whether containers are pointers or values though. I wish to be there at WWDC :wink:

Swift seems to carry C++11 power without its clutter, however I am not sure if it is as much expressive as C++11.

Regards,

I had a cursory glance at the documentation and I could not find anything about exceptions or
errorhandling in Swift. Are there any docs related to that?
Immanuel

Swift is pretty off topic for the clang mailing list, please take discussions to the apple developer forum or the public objc-language list:
https://lists.apple.com/mailman/listinfo/objc-language

-Chris