ARC and @synthesize of read only property

When I'm trying to synthesize a read only property in obj-c, I get the following error.

error: ARC forbids synthesizing a property of an Objective-C object with unspecified storage attribute [4]

I understand why it is necessary to specify storage attribute to generate a setter, but why is it relevant to generate a getter ?

Just in case, here is a simple test case:

@interface Foo { id _ivar; }
@property(nonatomic, readonly) id ivar;
@end
@implementation Foo
@synthesize ivar = _ivar;
@end

Trying to compile this code using -fobjc-arc fails.

-- Jean-Daniel

The getter semantics also change:

- If the property is retained, then it will retain / autorelease the object, to ensure that it is not deallocated prematurely.

- If the property is weak, then it must use the weak read barrier function

- If the property is unsafe_unretained, then the getter will just return it directly.

Even in ARC mode, the compiler can't magically guess what you mean.

David

When I'm trying to synthesize a read only property in obj-c, I get the following error.

error: ARC forbids synthesizing a property of an Objective-C object with unspecified storage attribute [4]

I understand why it is necessary to specify storage attribute to generate a setter, but why is it relevant to generate a getter ?

The getter semantics also change:

- If the property is retained, then it will retain / autorelease the object, to ensure that it is not deallocated prematurely.

- If the property is weak, then it must use the weak read barrier function

- If the property is unsafe_unretained, then the getter will just return it directly.

Thank you for the explanation. So the retained/autorelease is a new behavior introduced with ARC. AFAIK, the getter did this only for atomic properties in non ARC mode.

While it cannot always guess, when the @synthezise directive specify an ivar, it can default to the ivar ownership, as this is the only acceptable value.

-- Jean-Daniel

The simple answer is that this code defaulted to being an "assign" property before, and that dangerous because it quickly leads to a dangling pointer. ARC forces you to make a choice: strong, weak, unsafe_unretain, etc.

-Chris

Thank you for the explanation. So the retained/autorelease is a new behavior introduced with ARC. AFAIK, the getter did this only for atomic properties in non ARC mode.

You can check the generated IR. In ARC mode, it calls objc_getProperty() for atomic properties. For nonatomic properties, it accesses the ivar directly and calls objc_retainAutoreleaseReturnValue(). If you do something like:

id o = [object synthesizedNonatomicProperty];

Then ARC will translate this into something like:

o = objc_retainAutoreleasedReturnValue([object synthesizedNonatomicProperty]);

This skips the autorelease pool, so the object is now retained in the caller but not present in the autorelease pool. ARC will then objc_release() it at the end of the scope of o. This means that you get a lot less redundant autorelease pool churn in ARC mode.

While it cannot always guess, when the @synthezise directive specify an ivar, it can default to the ivar ownership, as this is the only acceptable value.

Ivars all default to __strong, but it sounds like you actually want unsafe_unretained (which would then simply be objc_retain()'d in the caller in ARC mode).

David

You can check the generated IR. In ARC mode, it calls objc_getProperty() for atomic properties. For nonatomic properties, it accesses the ivar directly and calls objc_retainAutoreleaseReturnValue(). If you do something like:

This skips the autorelease pool, so the object is now retained in the caller but not present in the autorelease pool. ARC will then objc_release() it at the end of the scope of o. This means that you get a lot less redundant autorelease pool churn in ARC mode.

That make sense. Thanks again.

Ivars all default to __strong, but it sounds like you actually want unsafe_unretained (which would then simply be objc_retain()'d in the caller in ARC mode).

I really have and want a strong ivar. Declaring it as 'unsafe_unretained' will prevent its releasing in the generated object's destructor.
So the solution in my case it to change the property declaration to tell the compiler it is a retained property.

-- Jean-Daniel

Look like commit 135747 changed this behavior for nonatomic (and non-weak) property. They now have the same behavior in ARC mode than in non-ARC mode. They are simply returned.

-- Jean-Daniel

That make sense. Thanks again.

I really have and want a strong ivar. Declaring it as 'unsafe_unretained' will prevent its releasing in the generated object's destructor.
So the solution in my case it to change the property declaration to tell the compiler it is a retained property.

This changed in r136155, now there will only be an error if the backing ivar is not user declared and there is no ownership attribute on the type.

-Argyrios

Thank you :slight_smile:

-- Jean-Daniel