automatic constructors a la GLSL?

Hello,
Please excuse the newbiness of this post.
I am porting a bunch of GLSL code over to LLVM and am wondering how I can setup constructors for a certain type.

example:

typedef float float4 attribute((ext_vector_type(4)));

float4 float4(float r, float g, float b, float a )
{

float4 ret = {r,g,b,a};
return ret;

}

float4 float4(float r, float g, float b )
{

float4 ret = {r,g,b,1.0};
return ret;

}

Of course this wont work since the function are using the same name, but any idea how I can setup these types of constructors? Should I declare float4 as a struct and overload the constructors? Can the ext_vector_type extension provide some help?

cheers.

In C++, you could certainly just make float4 a class that wraps a vector and has an implicit conversion to vector type. Alternatively, if you’re willing to use different function names, you can just make these overloaded functions. Otherwise I don’t think there’s a reasonable solution short of inventing a crazy new language feature.

It’s not unreasonable for us to support direct-initialization of vector types a la ‘float4(a,b,c,d)’ as a generic form of vector initialization in C++, but obviously that wouldn’t extend to the three-argument version.

John.

I am porting a bunch of GLSL code over to LLVM and am wondering how I can setup constructors for a certain type.

example:

{

float4 ret = {r,g,b,a};
return ret;

}

{

return ret;

}

Of course this wont work since the function are using the same name, but any idea how I can setup these types of constructors? Should I declare float4 as a struct and overload the constructors? Can the ext_vector_type extension provide some help?

In C++, you could certainly just make float4 a class that wraps a vector and has an implicit conversion to vector type. Alternatively, if you’re willing to use different function names, you can just make these overloaded functions. Otherwise I don’t think there’s a reasonable solution short of inventing a crazy new language feature.

In C++0x, it would be better to use the staticly-sized std::array type rather than a dynamically sized vector. Or maybe even a std::tuple.

It’s not unreasonable for us to support direct-initialization of vector types a la ‘float4(a,b,c,d)’ as a generic form of vector initialization in C++, but obviously that wouldn’t extend to the three-argument version.

Also in C++0x, you could use std::initializer_list construction to achieve this. Calling syntax would be:

float4 f1 = {2.0, 2.0, 2.0, 2.0);
float4 f2 = {2.0, 2.0, 2.0}; // std::initializer_list ctor would recognize only three elements and do the ‘right’ thing for the alpha.

John.

cfe-dev mailing list
cfe-dev@cs.uiuc.edu
http://lists.cs.uiuc.edu/mailman/listinfo/cfe-dev

Too bad we don’t have that support yet… :frowning:

example:

{

float4 ret = {r,g,b,a};
return ret;

}

{

return ret;

}

In C++0x, it would be better to use the staticly-sized std::array type rather than a dynamically sized vector. Or maybe even a std::tuple.

Also in C++0x, you could use std::initializer_list construction to achieve this. Calling syntax would be:

float4 f1 = {2.0, 2.0, 2.0, 2.0);
float4 f2 = {2.0, 2.0, 2.0}; // std::initializer_list ctor would recognize only three elements and do the ‘right’ thing for the alpha.

Sorry, that closing parenthesis should be a closing curly brace…

I think you are confusing std::vector with the builtin vector type. We are talking about the latter here.

John.