bot clang-x86-ninja-win7 missing llvm/lib/DebugInfo/MSF/LLVMBuild.txt

The bot has been failing its CMake step for a while now.
Probably fallout from renaming Msf to MSF. Can somebody
get this straightened out? It's one of the bots that run
VS2013 AFAICT which makes it useful to me.

Thanks,
--paulr

So, the MSF rename managed to break every Windows bot over the weekend. Did we try reverting, or was this one of those wonderful situations where it’s basically the fault of the version control system and reverting doesn’t help?

The latter. Unfortunately we need to get physical access and delete the checkout. I’m afraid reverting will just reintroduce the problem and re-break all the bots that people already took the time to fix, since going from MSF → Msf is the same as going from Msf → MSF

How about going through an intermediate name? E.g. Msf → foobar → MSF

It’s not exactly elegant, but may be easier than fixing all of the bots (presumably this might also affect downstream non-public bots?)

I think this is the sequence of events:

  • check in directory named Msf
  • use git to rename directory to MSF, all good
  • git doesn’t track the existence of directories, but svn does, so git-svn dcommit creates a new directory called MSF next to the old Msf directory
  • this all works on case insensitive filesystems
  • Hans tries to clean up the old name manually in svn with ‘svn rm’
  • this deletes the ‘MSF’ directory on case insensitive filesystems (current state)

Now ‘svn status’ is reporting a conflict on these slaves. I’m surprised buildbot doesn’t automatically recover from conflicts by blasting the conflicted portion of the checkout. Maybe we need to reconfigure it to do that?

I think this is the sequence of events:

- check in directory named Msf
- use git to rename directory to MSF, all good
- git doesn't track the existence of directories, but svn does, so git-svn
dcommit creates a new directory called MSF next to the old Msf directory
- this all works on case insensitive filesystems
- Hans tries to clean up the old name manually in svn with 'svn rm'
- this deletes the 'MSF' directory on case insensitive filesystems (current
state)

Now 'svn status' is reporting a conflict on these slaves. I'm surprised
buildbot doesn't automatically recover from conflicts by blasting the
conflicted portion of the checkout. Maybe we need to reconfigure it to do
that?

fwiv, the bots were in conflict before I did "svn rm". I suspect the
moment they tried to update to the revision that had both a "MSF" and
"Msf" dir, they were doomed.

(For Chromium bots we tracked this in http://crbug.com/632912)

I resurrected these three bots, which all use VS 2013 so you can check that in the meantime:

http://lab.llvm.org:8011/builders/clang-x86-win2008-selfhost/

http://lab.llvm.org:8011/builders/sanitizer-windows/

http://lab.llvm.org:8011/builders/lldb-x86-windows-msvc2015/

Awesome, thanks Reid! And I realized I misspelled the bot that’s still failing, it’s clang-x64-ninja-win7 (but hopefully everybody who actually cares would realize that).

–paulr

The bot was cleaned yesterday and now working. Sorry for inconvenience.

Thanks,
Denis