It appears that discourse has dropped some parts of imported emails during the import process. I’ve only noticed one example of this so far, but it’s only an accident I noticed this one (since I was reading this thread, and the issue here is blatant). So I assume there’s more similar problems throughout the import.
Check out the difference between this one-paragraph response, which makes it look like the poster failed to ever substantively reply to the questions:
(Note, there I’ve linked to the google group mirror instead of the message in the official llvm-dev archives because the original message used colors/indents to denote quoting, which the mailman archive does not render, making it rather unintelligible.)
I also wonder if this is the same (or a similar) problem to the message on the Discourse Retrospective thread in which jcranmer noted that some message text was lost on a (new) email reply sent to discourse.
Hmm, there is a Google Groups mirror… that seems like it would have been a relatively small step away from just replacing Mailman with Google Groups, which seems like it would be much simpler than this. Was that considered?
I don’t know how the process of import for Discourse works or how they validated it, but this is puzzling overall.
My approach would have been to implement this with a round-tripping and ensure (maybe with some normalization of the input) that we don’t lose information in the process (we can recover the input from the output).
I guess the trade-off is in importing the mailing-list archives “as-is” vs importing something that “looks like it was written in Discourse originally”, the latter requiring (imperfect) heuristic to interpret the messages instead of just importing them.
We are aware of a few situations that caused emails to not be imported correctly. We are working with the Discourse support team to identify more of the cases and to fix them automatically. However, no data has been lost and we can always fix these up manually in the meantime. You can email firstname.lastname@example.org with any of these import issues (or tag the admins on the post) so we can pass it along to the Discourse support team and to also fix them.
I’ll update here once we have more to share, but I wanted to share that we have been working on this in the background.