C Types -> LLVM Objects

I am implementing the support library for my toy Python implementation in C. Is there a recommended way to import types/functions defined in my C library as LLVM type objects into my compiler? I am currently doing this:

- Create a "null" C file that references the important types
- Load the bytecode of this file when initializing the compiler
- Load the types and functions out of this "null" module

I'm thinking that a better solution would be to write some tool that takes the "null" bytecode and outputs a C++ file so I don't need to link my compiler with the bytecode reader, or be able to find the "nullmodule.bc" file. Are there any better ways to do this?

Thanks,

Evan Jones

Unfortunately, I'm not aware of a better way to do this. If you care about a few specific functions, you can hard code them into the compiler. If you care about general functions or a large number of them, this is a reasonable approach.

-Chris

One thing I should mention: this is only if you REALLY care about the types that a function takes (e.g. what FILE is on the system). For most uses, you can just prototype a function as taking an 'sbyte*' and cast pointer values to sbyte* before calling the function. This could simplify things enough that you can do simple things instead of grand and complicated ones.

-Chris