Can we get 'tagging' enabled?

It seems Discourse allows for tagging, but it needs to be enabled by the site admin (source). Could this be enabled? Examples where I could see it helping: GSoC & <category>; or ‘inlining’ + ‘PGO’ + ‘ThinLTO’… etc.

In theory, we get most the functionality here via subject tags e.g.

[RFC] My New Feature

… but those can get cumbersome when you want to highlight several topics of interest. So, I think this could be useful. :slight_smile:

(It’d be cool if you could automatically add a tag based off the subject. E.g. if I write something with [RFC] in the subject, it’d automatically have the tag applied… wonder if Discourse supports that)

I think tagging is a good idea. Worst case we try it, and decide it is or isn’t the best approach for the project. Maybe RFC should stay in subject as its a big one, but tags are useful for other topics that we don’t want to have tons of sub-categories.

2 Likes

Tagging is now enabled. This is a great article about tags versus categories.

We may want to prune down some categories in say “Community” or “Infrastructure” and use tags instead.

1 Like

Discourse requires trust level 3 to create a tag, so if you have tag suggestions… please let me know and I can add them until people reach that level or we add more people to that level.

Oh… so those levels matter :slight_smile:

some ideas: (@snehasish wdyt about pgo as a tag? I reckon it’s cross-cutting)

regalloc
inlining
<…frankly, any pass acronyms… not that they are cross-cutting, but to help filter under the optimizations category?..>
<…maybe the various codegen arch-es?.. so then one could [x86][regalloc]>
mlgo
pgo
lto
thinlto

Maybe a GlobalISel tag?

I added the one mentioned about, but if you can provide them as a list with one per line it is easier: the system takes such a text file as input to create tags :slight_smile:

We have control over this, we could lower to Level 2 if we want?

CUDA-related tag suggestions:

cuda
hip
ptx
gpu
nvptx (any LLVM back-end in general, if we don’t have tags for them yet)

1 Like

Current list:

core
affine
amdgpu
arc
arch64
arm
arm64
avr
bpf
canonicalize
csky
cuda
fold
globalisel
gpu
hexagon
hip
lanai
linalg
linux
lto
m68k
macos
mips
mlgo
msp430
nvptx
ods
pdl
pdll
pgo
powerpc
ptx
python
regalloc
rfc
riscv
runtime
sparc
sparse
systemz
thinlto
webassembly
windows
x86
xcore

pgo as a tag sounds better than a strict category.

Would it be possible to get a Dexter (or alternatively DebugInfoTests/CrossProjectTests) tag? Discussions for it don’t fit neatly into any category at the moment, so in the absence of such a category it would be convenient to have a tag for the time being.

Can we also create a debuginfo tag please?

edit: I just saw Request for Debug Info and Testing categories - #2 by jh7370 which is related. My personal feeling is that debug info can cover multiple projects and therefore fits well with the concept of a tag, but I’m happy to be convinced otherwise.

debuginfo added!

Thanks Mehdi!