Can't compile simple OpenMP code with clang 5.0.0

Hi,

I’m struggling with compiling simple OpenMP program with clang 5.0.0.
Here is the code (foo.cxx):

#include “omp.h”
#include <stdio.h>
int main(void) {
#pragma omp parallel
printf(“thread %d\n”, omp_get_thread_num());
}

As I use clang as part of xeus-cling my clang installation is inside conda packages:
$ which clang
/home/tasik/miniconda3/envs/cling/bin/clang

As this clang package does’t have omp.h I provide additional directories to find omp.h and libomp.so

To compile the code I use the command:
$ clang -fopenmp -I/home/…/usr/lib/llvm-10/include/openmp/ -L/home/…/usr/lib/llvm-10/lib foo.cxx

And I get errors:
/usr/bin/ld: cannot find /lib64/libpthread.so.0
/usr/bin/ld: cannot find /usr/lib64/libpthread_nonshared.a
clang-5.0: error: linker command failed with exit code 1 (use -v to see invocation)

I really need some help to undertand how to work with clang 5.0.0 OpenMP
And I think that it is difficult to update clang’s version as xeus-cling requires mentioned 5.0.0 version…

With respect,
kerim

Why are you using such an old version of Clang?

Clang the compiler needs to be built with support for parsing OpenMP pragmas.

It’s not just the header and runtime you need to successfully compile with OpenMP

Another thing:

Clang can be compiled without OpenMP support, which removes the omp.h header, libomp.dylib, and tablegen isn’t even run for OpenMP pragmas.

Your Clang distribution needs to be compiled with OpenMP support for it to work at all.

How can check if OpenMP is enabled in my clang package?

Hi Kerim,

I tried to help below. Looking at xeus-cling I did not immediately see why clang 5 is
required. If this doesn't work as described below, I might spend time trying to get it
to run with clang 11 :wink:

Hi,
  I’m struggling with compiling simple OpenMP program with clang 5.0.0.
Here is the code (foo.cxx):
  #include "omp.h"
#include <stdio.h>
int main ( void ) {
#pragma omp parallel
printf ( "thread %d \n " , omp_get_thread_num ());
}
  As I use clang as part of xeus-cling my clang installation is inside conda packages:
$ which clang
/home/tasik/miniconda3/envs/cling/bin/clang
  As this clang package does’t have omp.h I provide additional directories to find omp.h and libomp.so
To compile the code I use the command:
$ clang -fopenmp -I/home/../usr/lib/llvm-10/include/openmp/ -L/home/../usr/lib/llvm-10/lib foo.cxx
  And I get errors:
clang-5.0: error: linker command failed with exit code 1 (use -v to see invocation)

The error basically means clang looks for the libthread libraries and cannot find them.
Check on you system where they are and provide the path via -L to clang. That might allow
you to proceed. That said, I don't think you are able to mix clang 5 and llvm 10 as you
do now. The headers and libraries clang might pick up need to be consistent (with the clang
version). At least, you need to make sure `omp.h` and `libomp.so` are the ones shipped with
clang 5.

~ Johannes

Hi Marcus,

Another thing:

Clang can be compiled without OpenMP support, which removes the omp.h header, libomp.dylib, and tablegen isn’t even run for OpenMP pragmas.

Your Clang distribution needs to be compiled with OpenMP support for it to work at all.

As far as I can tell, LLVM/Clang doesn't have the ability to disable OpenMP support.
This might have been different in the past, or in some derived compilers, but I would
assume the clang would have emitted an error upon encountering `-fopenmp` then.

~ Johannes

I don’t know precisely how it works, but I do know for a fact that Apple’s clang shipped with Xcode completely strips Clang of all OpenMP stuff

Hi Johannes,

Thank you for response

It seems that I don’t have libthread. Moreover it is highly likely that omp.h and libomp.so that I used to provide as parameters to clang are not shipped with clang 5 :slight_smile:

I think I should now forget about xeus-cling for a while and simply build the code with latest (or any) version of clang with OpenMP.

I’ve tried to do the following:
$ sudo apt-get install clang-10
$ sudo apt-get install libomp-5-dev

Now I want to find where are these packages were installed:
$ find /usr -iname clang-10
/usr/lib/llvm-10/bin/clang-10
/usr/lib/cmake/clang-10
/usr/share/doc/clang-10
/usr/share/bash-completion/completions/clang-10
/usr/share/lintian/overrides/clang-10
/usr/bin/clang-10

$ find /usr -iname libomp-10-dev
/usr/share/doc/libomp-10-dev

So I’m afraid that libomp-10-dev contains only some docs and there is no library libomp-10-dev.so (or something)

Could you please guide me how to properly install clang with OpenMP that I could build my test script?

I’m on Ubuntu 20.04, x64
$ cat /etc/lsb-release
DISTRIB_ID=Ubuntu
DISTRIB_RELEASE=20.04
DISTRIB_CODENAME=focal
DISTRIB_DESCRIPTION=“Ubuntu 20.04.1 LTS”

I think libomp is still on version 5.0, (I know, I know).
It is not coupled to LLVM wrt. version numbers.

Last time I checked, LLVM build for debian (and Ububuntu)
came bundled with the OpenMP runtimes (for the host). That
means you should not need libomp-5-dev but just clang-10.
libomp-5-dev is useful if you *don't* want clang but still
target libomp, which is the LLVM OpenMP host runtime, from
gcc, thus use it as a replacement of libgomp.

All that said, doesn't `clang-10 -fopenmp ...` "just work"?

~ Johannes

The command:
$ clang-10 -fopenmp foo.cxx

gives the error output:
/usr/bin/ld: /tmp/foo-e2d536.o: in function __clang_call_terminate':* *foo.cxx:(.text.__clang_call_terminate[__clang_call_terminate]+0x2): undefined reference to __cxa_begin_catch’
/usr/bin/ld: foo.cxx:(.text.__clang_call_terminate[__clang_call_terminate]+0xb): undefined reference to std::terminate()'* */usr/bin/ld: /tmp/foo-e2d536.o:(.eh_frame+0x4b): undefined reference to __gxx_personality_v0’
clang: error: linker command failed with exit code 1 (use -v to see invocation)

clang++-10 -fopenmp foo.cxx (or whatever the clang++ symlink is called)

~ Johannes

Thank you!
The command:
$ clang+±10 -fopenmp foo.cxx

successfully builds.
$ ./a.out
thread 1
thread 2
thread 0
thread 3

Now I think we can go back to xeus-cling :slight_smile:

It seems I know where is my fault (it is was very obvious) but I can’t understand how can I link external library to clang.

In the folder /home/…/usr/lib/llvm-10/lib I have a file called libomp.so.5 (as I understood it is a library of version 5) and I strongly believe that I need to link this library when parsing commands to clang++:

$ clang++ -fopenmp foo.cxx -I/home/…/usr/lib/llvm-10/include/openmp/ -L/home/…/usr/lib/llvm-10/lib libomp.so.5

gives me error:
clang-5.0: error: no such file or directory: 'libomp.so.5’

How to link libomp.so.5 ? Can’t find it in google yet

-fopenmp will add the -lomp, which will look for libomp.so in your library path.

Again, libomp.so versioning is not related to clang versioning.

What is the output of

clang++ -fopenmp foo.cxx

$ clang++ -fopenmp foo.cxx

gives:
foo.cxx:2:10: fatal error: ‘omp.h’ file not found
#include "omp.h"
**^~~~~~~**
1 error generated.

Then I try:

$ clang++ -fopenmp foo.cxx -I/home/…/usr/lib/llvm-10/include/openmp/

this produces the error:
/usr/bin/ld: cannot find -lomp

The dir: -I/home/…/usr/lib/llvm-10/include/openmp/ contains omp.h

Ok, closer. is there a symlink from libomp.so to libomp.so.5 in /home/../usr/lib/llvm-10/lib ?
If not, create one. Then try:

clang++ -fopenmp foo.cxx -I/home/../usr/lib/llvm-10/include/openmp/ -L/home/../usr/lib/llvm-10/lib

Yes, it is

The command:

$ clang++ -fopenmp foo.cxx -I/home/…/usr/lib/llvm-10/include/openmp/ -L/home/…/usr/lib/llvm-10/lib

gives the error:

Maybe install libpthread-dev?

Just add -L/usr/lib/llvm-10/lib to your compilation command.

Best regards,
Alexey Bataev

Thank you very much!

I’ve figured out that I have libpthread.so.0 in /usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu

So I can compile it with command:
$ clang++ -fopenmp foo.cxx -I/home/…/usr/lib/llvm-10/include/openmp/ -L/home/…/usr/lib/llvm-10/lib -L/home/…/usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu

Is there a way to change that /usr/bin/ld looks for libpthread.so.0 in /usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu instead of /lib64 ?