clang-refactor usage and development

Hello everyone,

I am currently looking into adding new refactorings for clang to utilize
them both in clang-tidy and clang-refactor.

While exploring clang-refactor it seemed, that the tool itself does not
work yet on standalone files, but only for the existing test cases. But
the code for the tool itself does contain logic to actually apply
refactorings inplace or to print the new file to stdout.

Given that clang-refactor still seems to be in an unstable stage, could
someone point me to the right places to make it work as standalone tool?
I would be very interested to get it running and maybe write a
vim-integration similar to clang-rename as well.

Background:

For me it would be very valuable to add the refactoring to a central
place within clang, as I want to extend some of the clang-tidy checks to
do more code transformations which relies sometimes on prior
refactorings. For example to change the const-ness of a variable it is
necessary to isolate the variable declaration first and change the type
second.

Transforming `int a, b, c = 0;` into `int a; int b; int c = 0;` is the
refactoring i am implementing at the moment as well. But my code runs
within clang-tidy as I was able to experiment better with it.

Thank you for the help.

All the best

Jonas

Hi Jonas,

I believe that your use-case is slightly different from what Clang-Refactor tries (or, to be honest, is supposed to try) to support. Basically, Clang-Refactor should be able to process refactoring queries from the user coming from the editor, command line or any other way.

• Variable is not mutated anywhere → change it’s type to const T
  • Don’t use int a, b, c; → split into int a; int b; int c; (I believe we have a tendency to avoid such declarations in the LLVM codebase, certainly a good-to-have check!)

Also, I believe that clang-rename Vim and Emacs integrations were changed for a long long time (although I can see that you recently added Python 3 support, thank you!). I would advise you to use Clangd, which utilises the same infrastructure Clang-Rename does for renamings, but has way better support. I understand that setting up Clangd might be not trivial and I might share my experience soon-ish, so that more people could try it.

To sum up, I would suggest implementing both cases as Clang-Tidy checks. Right now, Clangd exposes compile warnings and Fix-Its to the client, so that user can see potentially problematic places and apply these Fix-Its. AFAIK there is an ongoing effort to integrate Clang-Tidy into Clangd pipeline so that Clang-Tidy warnings and Fix-Its would be also exposed to the user, I am personally very excited about that. Thus said, I believe you might have way better user experience by going this way, because you wouldn’t have to implement stand-alone tools and deal with integration.

Let me know if it works for you!

Kind regards,
Kirill Bobyrev

P.S. You can take a look at the original design: https://lists.llvm.org/pipermail/cfe-dev/2016-September/050641.html. Unfortunately, nothing major happened ever since, but the idea is still out there, especially now that we have Clangd.

Hi Kirill,

I thought this could be done from clang-tidy as well. E.g. making all locals const workflow: 1. Do the analysis and find all possible const variables 2. Isolate their declaration (unfolding the decl stmts) (just call the refactor framework maybe with the DeclStmt as argument) 3. Change Qualifier → adding const (another call to the refactoring framework) Clang-tidy would then just manage the actual workhorses beeing analysis facilities (the const-thing lives in clang-tidy repo at the moment) and the high level refactorings. I guess it would be an issue to have these steps separated, because the source-to-source transformation probably requires a rebuild of the AST to reliably do the next refactoring etc. And an editor integration automatically benefits from the refactorings clang-tidy can do. But here ‘clangd’ is probably the key. My issue while implementing and thinking about it was, that many values will not benefit from the clang-tidy transformations because declarations like int i, j, k = 0; and other value-like classes are common enough. If only one of these variables can be a constant(e.g. k) you can only emit the warning and can’t do the transformation without a prior ‘IsolateDecl’. And ‘change type’ is a common thing for clang-tidy (introducing smart pointers, auto-usage, gsl::owner, gsl::not_null, …). All of them rely to some extend on an ‘IsolateDecl’-Refactoring to do their transformations correct or in more places. So I think my main point would be code-reuse. It is possible to implement these refactoring primitives in the clang-tidy/utils-space but then other clang-tools could not benefit from it. I honestly did not try it out so far, I have read somewhere that only Visual Studio is (was?) supported and as a vim on Linux guy I did not investigate further. I would love to have even more IDE features and if there is support for vim, I will definitely try it out (and maybe even help making it better ;)). Totally agree that one tool serving all use-cases is best for the user experience and reducing boilerplate. Best Jonas