[clang-tidy] Some possible contributions

Hello,

I am the author of a static analysis tool using Clang's LibTooling which I wrote for the open-source Colobot project (https://github.com/colobot/colobot). This tool, which I named colobot-lint (https://github.com/colobot/colobot-lint), is written using a framework loosely based on the code of clang-tidy.

Now that my little project has matured enough, I think I may contribute some of its code back to clang-tidy. However, before I create patches and send them to cfe-commits, I'd like to hear some discussion on whether you think my code is generic enough and useful enough to be included in clang-tidy.

For now I only propose the following two patches based on what I think is the most generic of what I wrote. My tool does a lot more, but I won't bore you with details here (if you're curious, it's documented in README files).

Patch proposal #1: add check for inconsistent parameter names in function declarations
This will check for instances of function (re-)declarations which differ in parameter names. For example: void foo(int a, int b, int c); in header file and void foo(int d, int e, int f) { /*...*/ } in code module file.
This check may be useful to enforce consistency in a large project, keeping declaration and definition always in sync. In extreme case, I think it may even prevent some class of bugs, as declaration may not get updated during refactoring and then a person writing code against the outdated interface, may get the wrong idea of what parameters to pass to the function.

Patch proposal #2: add check for instances of old C-style functions
This will check for instances of legacy functions which use old C-style convention of declaring all parameters at the beginning of the function:
void foo()
{
     int a, i;
     /* and later, after many lines in between, there is first use of declared variables: */
     a = bar();
     for (i = 0; i < 10; ++i) { /*...*/ }
}
It may be useful for people who have to maintain old codebases and want to find instances of such functions to refactor them to "modern" C++ style, declaring variables in the place where they are needed. This in fact is exactly what we're doing in Colobot project and I imagine there are other projects like that.

Please let me know if you think I should proceed with submitting these patches. I can also prepare other patches if you think some other parts of my code would be useful.

Best regards,
Piotr Dziwinski

Hello,

I am the author of a static analysis tool using Clang's LibTooling which
I wrote for the open-source Colobot project
(https://github.com/colobot/colobot). This tool, which I named
colobot-lint (https://github.com/colobot/colobot-lint), is written using
a framework loosely based on the code of clang-tidy.

Now that my little project has matured enough, I think I may contribute
some of its code back to clang-tidy. However, before I create patches
and send them to cfe-commits, I'd like to hear some discussion on
whether you think my code is generic enough and useful enough to be
included in clang-tidy.

For now I only propose the following two patches based on what I think
is the most generic of what I wrote. My tool does a lot more, but I
won't bore you with details here (if you're curious, it's documented in
README files).

Patch proposal #1: add check for inconsistent parameter names in
function declarations
This will check for instances of function (re-)declarations which differ
in parameter names. For example: void foo(int a, int b, int c); in
header file and void foo(int d, int e, int f) { /*...*/ } in code module
file.
This check may be useful to enforce consistency in a large project,
keeping declaration and definition always in sync. In extreme case, I
think it may even prevent some class of bugs, as declaration may not get
updated during refactoring and then a person writing code against the
outdated interface, may get the wrong idea of what parameters to pass to
the function.

This will check for instances of legacy functions which use old C-style
convention of declaring all parameters at the beginning of the function:
void foo()
{
     int a, i;
     /* and later, after many lines in between, there is first use of
declared variables: */
     a = bar();
     for (i = 0; i < 10; ++i) { /*...*/ }
}
It may be useful for people who have to maintain old codebases and want
to find instances of such functions to refactor them to "modern" C++
style, declaring variables in the place where they are needed. This in
fact is exactly what we're doing in Colobot project and I imagine there
are other projects like that.

Please let me know if you think I should proceed with submitting these
patches. I can also prepare other patches if you think some other parts
of my code would be useful.

I also think both checkers make a lot of sense, nice ideas!

Cheers,
Kevin

In article <55DF408A.5080208@gmail.com>,
    Piotr Dziwinski via cfe-dev <cfe-dev@lists.llvm.org> writes:

Patch proposal #1: add check for inconsistent parameter names in
function declarations

Nice!

Also nice!

I've subscribed to the reviews in phabricator. If you'd like to
discuss ideas/implementation for localizing variables in "old C-style
functions", I'm happy to participate in that either on-list or
off-list.

@Legalize Adulthood: Thanks, I'll soon try to come up with some ideas for localizing variables and I will post some proposal.

Meanwhile, in case of my inconsistent parameter name check, I ran into some difficulties related to templates, as I wrote in a comment in the review.

Take this code for example:

template<typename T>
   void foo(T a);

template<>
   void foo(int b) {}

I want to find here mismatch between parameter name in template declaration and specialization. In my current implementation I get the following output:

src.cpp:4:16: warning: function 'foo' has other declaration with different parameter name [readability-inconsistent-declaration-parameter-name]
   template<>void foo(int b) {}
                ^
   src.cpp:4:16: note: other declaration seen here
                ^
   src.cpp:4:24: note: parameter 1 is named 'b' here, but 'a' in other declaration

So it seems to work fine, but shows wrong location for the other declaration.

I traced it down to what I think is incorrect location reporting, or at least confusing behavior of getLocation() function.

When I visit redeclarations of template specialization, I get something that I assume is generated function declaration from the earlier template declaration. When I call dump() on it, I get:

FunctionDecl 0x1a4dad0 <src.cpp:2:1, col:13> line:4:16 foo 'void (int)'
   >-TemplateArgument type 'int'
   `-ParmVarDecl 0x1a4da10 <line:2:10, col:12> col:12 a 'int':'int'

So everything seems fine, we get the template declaration argument name, which we can check. But when I output that diagnostic, I call getLocation(), and I get 'src.cpp:4:16', so the location of template specialization, not template declaration.

Now, of course I can work around it by calling getPrimaryTemplate()->getLocation(), but it seems a sort of hack, which applies only in this one case. So I have to ask: isn't there a universal way of getting correct location that works in all cases?

Also, another thing I would like to see in the output, would be a nice way of printing function name with template specialization arguments in diagnostic, for example: "function 'foo<int>' has other declaration (...)". Is there a standard way of doing this, or do I have to write my code for that?

Best regards,
Piotr Dziwinski