Clang tool optimizations for performance?

Hi.

My tool (smth like IDE) uses Clang via C API. The main approach is the next, when the file is changed:

1. parseTranslationUnit
  2. getDiagnosticSetFromTU
  3. tokenize
  4. indexSourceFile

This makes all the features (highlighting, building file structure tree, diagnostics) working perfect, but it takes a lot of time as it’s working on mobile device.

I will do obvious optimization - executing in worker thread in order to avoid UI blocking, but i’d like to know about other optimizations.

What can be done concurrently in order to get better performance (lower response time)? Is it safe to perform actions after parsing concurrently? Any other optimizations? Also i use a lot of libraries using ‘-I’ arguments in commandLineArgs for parse() and index(). Is there any approach to avoid reparsing them each time user file is changed?

Regards, Anton.

Hi,

I have the same question over here.

Our test case cpp file of 1400 lines with a bunch of includes, resulting in 138 000 lines after preprocessing. parseTranslationUnit takes 1.6 sec for this translation unit with CXTranslationUnit_PrecompiledPreamble flag only.

Afterward, on the same bench, the first call to reparseTranslationUnit is even slower (3 sec), but,
each of the following calls to reparseTranslationUnit take only 0.4 sec.

We were wondering why we can’t tell which files have or haven’t changed since the last reparse (can we ?).

The only app that I know of that seems to colorize after each keystroke is XCode.
I wonder if they use libclang or a lower level api, or an in-house solution, or a mix, and what are the optimizations that were required.

Does anyone know of an open source project that uses clang for syntax highlighting ( aside the abandonned project SourceCodeKit ) ?

Best Regards,
William

Hi,

I have the same question over here.

Dito :slight_smile:

<snip>

Does anyone know of an open source project that uses clang for syntax
highlighting ( aside the abandonned project SourceCodeKit ) ?

Olivier JG is prototyping a solution for KDevelop/Kate [1] and there is also
an existing plugin for Kate that makes heavy use of clang at [2].

That said, I'm still looking forward to more information on this topic.
KDevelop definitely plans to switch to clang, hopefully as soon as next year
for an experimental first release.

[1]: http://quickgit.kde.org/?p=scratch%2Folivierjg%2Fkalang.git
[2]: Kate C++ Helper Plugin

Cheers