I have just experimentally verified that it is possible to build the classic flang project using only the flang-compiler/classic-flang-llvm-project release_100 with:
- gcc 9
- gcc 10 (with a few patches included)
- llvm 9/10/11
and pass all tests for all these setups.
The flang-compiler/llvm + flang-compiler/flang-driver, which are currently suggested in the official Build Instructions, only built with gcc-9 for me and are forks of outdated and archived stand-alone llvm mirrors.
It seems that the switch would do no harm, but would instead simplify the build process and bring in some llvm updates from the monorepo and make it easier to bring them in in the future.
To accomplish the switch I think we should:
- Update the build instructions by removing steps 2,3,4,5.
- Update the recently added Github Actions scripts to follow the new, simpler flow.
- (optionally) Deprecate the flang-compiler/llvm and flang-compiler/flang-driver repos.
Detailed evidence for successful builds:
- classic-flang-llvm-project (just build and upload artifacts): https://github.com/michalpasztamobica/classic-flang-llvm-project/actions/runs/354267060
- flang (install pre-compiled artifacts, build, install and run check-all): https://github.com/michalpasztamobica/flang/actions/runs/354470104
There’s a high chance I am missing something important here, so I will gladly welcome your comments.
Mobica is a global software services company, delivering and enabling technologies that transform business outcomes for the leading brands in Automotive, Silicon, FinTech, Media and Telecoms. Headquartered in Wilmslow UK with offices across Europe and the US, our established technical and delivery excellence in high quality software engineering drives success for our multinational customers on every continent, every day.
Find out more at Mobica.com
Mobica Limited is a limited company registered in England and Wales with registered number 05169596 and VAT registered number 223837508. Our registered office is at Crown House, Manchester Road, Wilmslow, Cheshire, SK9 1BH, UK.
This message is intended solely for the addressee(s) and may contain confidential information.
If you have received this message in error, please send it back to us, and immediately and permanently delete it.
Do not use, copy or disclose the information contained in this message or in any attachment.