cvs opt broken?

I checked out llvm from cvs & llvm-gcc from svn last night and again tonight. Each time they compiled and installed fine. After installing them, I recompiled compiler transforms I had written for opt. opt seems to load the my transform libraries fine, but it complains:

opt: Unknown command line argument '-mytransform'

whenever I try to specify one of my transforms on the opt command line. I checked the names of the transforms and they are correct. In addition, I did a opt --help and my transforms were lisetd.

So, I switched back to a version of llvm & llvm-gcc from about a month ago, and opt recognizes and runs my transforms. Did something change with opt? Did something change with the way transforms are registered with opt?

Regards,
Ryan

This has been reported.

http://llvm.org/bugs/show_bug.cgi?id=1317

That bug says its resolved as of around 2 pm on 04/09. I checked llvm around 11 pm on 04/09 and I sitll had the problem.

Zhongxing Xu wrote:

Hi Ryan,

I checked out llvm from cvs & llvm-gcc from svn last night and again
tonight. Each time they compiled and installed fine. After installing
them, I recompiled compiler transforms I had written for opt. opt seems
to load the my transform libraries fine, but it complains:

opt: Unknown command line argument '-mytransform'

whenever I try to specify one of my transforms on the opt command line.

Please see PR1317 and PR1318. I believe you're running into the same
issue. Briefly, the issue is that option processing has changed to not
be so oriented towards static initialization time. This has changed the
order of things and now your option is not recognized because it hasn't
been registered properly.

  I checked the names of the transforms and they are correct. In
addition, I did a opt --help and my transforms were lisetd.

Yes, this isn't your bug.

So, I switched back to a version of llvm & llvm-gcc from about a month
ago, and opt recognizes and runs my transforms. Did something change
with opt?

These are probably the result of changes to the CommandLine.cpp file in
the last few days. All LLVM tools use a common facility for processing
command line options.

Did something change with the way transforms are registered
with opt?

No, the registration mechanism is the same.

Reid.

PR1317 says that it is resolved. Looking at the details of the report, it says that a fix had been committed for the "instant case." Am I right that means a fix has been submitted that makes LLVMHello work with opt, but that the general problem has not been resolved and is reported in PR1318?

Reid Spencer wrote:

PR1317 says that it is resolved. Looking at the details of the report,
it says that a fix had been committed for the "instant case." Am I
right that means a fix has been submitted that makes LLVMHello work with
opt, but that the general problem has not been resolved and is reported
in PR1318?

Yes, that's pretty much it. 1317 was about LLVMHello. 1318 is a more
substantial bug that has not been resolved yet. I mentioned both
because perhaps the fix for LLVMHello (don't link LLVM libraries into
the module) will work for you as well.

Reid.

Yes, that's pretty much it. 1317 was about LLVMHello. 1318 is a more
substantial bug that has not been resolved yet. I mentioned both
because perhaps the fix for LLVMHello (don't link LLVM libraries into
the module) will work for you as well.

I will try to get this bug fixed today,

-Chris

Reid Spencer wrote:

Hi Ryan,

I checked out llvm from cvs & llvm-gcc from svn last night and again
tonight. Each time they compiled and installed fine. After installing
them, I recompiled compiler transforms I had written for opt. opt seems
to load the my transform libraries fine, but it complains:

opt: Unknown command line argument '-mytransform'

whenever I try to specify one of my transforms on the opt command line.

Please see PR1317 and PR1318. I believe you're running into the same
issue. Briefly, the issue is that option processing has changed to not
be so oriented towards static initialization time. This has changed the
order of things and now your option is not recognized because it hasn't
been registered properly.

I checked the names of the transforms and they are correct. In
addition, I did a opt --help and my transforms were lisetd.

Yes, this isn't your bug.

So, I switched back to a version of llvm & llvm-gcc from about a month
ago, and opt recognizes and runs my transforms. Did something change
with opt?

These are probably the result of changes to the CommandLine.cpp file in
the last few days. All LLVM tools use a common facility for processing
command line options.

Did something change with the way transforms are registered
with opt?

No, the registration mechanism is the same.

Reid.

Regards,
Ryan

_______________________________________________
LLVM Developers mailing list
LLVMdev@cs.uiuc.edu http://llvm.cs.uiuc.edu
http://lists.cs.uiuc.edu/mailman/listinfo/llvmdev

_______________________________________________
LLVM Developers mailing list
LLVMdev@cs.uiuc.edu http://llvm.cs.uiuc.edu
http://lists.cs.uiuc.edu/mailman/listinfo/llvmdev

_______________________________________________
LLVM Developers mailing list
LLVMdev@cs.uiuc.edu http://llvm.cs.uiuc.edu
http://lists.cs.uiuc.edu/mailman/listinfo/llvmdev

-Chris