difference between "platform process attach|launch" and "process attach|launch"

Hello,

I’m trying to make TestProcessAttach to pass in case of remote platform. I see a few problems here:

• lldbtest.spawnSubprocess should spawn a new process remotely (e.g., using A packet) when remote_platform is presented.

• It seems “process attach” doesn’t know about selected platform and tries to find a local process to attach - either by pid or name (I don’t see qLaunchGDBServer requests in platform’s gdb-remote logs).
    The main question for me here - is it expected behavior that “process attach|launch” always work with local processes only regardless of selected platform? Or if it’s not the case should we delegate Process::Attach call to Platform::Attach and Process::Launch to Platform::ProcessLaunch?
    Or as minimal workaround make TestProcessAttach to use “platform process attach” command instead?

Thank you in advance.

Yes, use the "platform process attach" command, or better yet add new API to SBPlatform:

SBProcess
    SBPlatform::Launch (SBLaunchInfo &launch_info, SBError& error);

SBProcess
    SBPlatform::Attach (SBAttachInfo &attach_info, SBError& error);

Then we can use this API to do the launching/attaching via the SBPlatform object we already have stored.

Greg

Note we already have the ability to run a remote shell command:

SBError
        SBPlatform::Run (SBPlatformShellCommand &shell_command);

this is in case you want to launch a shell command separately that you aren't going to debug.

Greg

Thank you for quick response!

Just know that the current GDB remote based platform will only allow you to kill processes that you launched through it as a security measure.

Greg