Disabling DCE pass from opt

Hello.
     Could you please tell me which passes in opt perform DCE for the following code (I am aware of the passes from the source file lib/Transforms/IPO/PassManagerBuilder.cpp):
         void foo(TYPE *A, TYPE *B, TYPE *C, TYPE N) {
           int tmpToBeDCE;

for (TYPE i = 0; i < N; ++i) {
               C[i] = A[i] + B[i];
               tmpToBeDCE = 2;
           }

tmpToBeDCE++;
         }

I ask because when I give this code to clang -O3 (I require -O3 to perform vectorization), in the resulting .ll file there is no reference to the tmpToBeDCE variable - it was eliminated since it has no real use.
     I would like to still have this variable implemented in the output .ll file.

Thank you,
     Alex

Hi Alex,
You can print the IR after each optimization pass using the '-mllvm -print-after-all' option.

clang++ -O3 -mllvm -print-after-all -S -emit-llvm -o - test.cpp

From there you should be able to determine which pass is removing the dead code.

HTH,
   Chad

Hi Alex,

That's probably not the answer you're looking for, but declaring tmpToBeDCE as volatile has the
side effect of preventing DCE :slight_smile:

Hello.
   Could you please tell me which passes in opt perform DCE for the following code (I am aware of the passes from the source file lib/Transforms/IPO/PassManagerBuilder.cpp):
         int tmpToBeDCE;

C[i] = A[i] + B[i];
             tmpToBeDCE = 2;
         }

tmpToBeDCE++;
       }

I ask because when I give this code to clang -O3 (I require -O3 to perform vectorization), in the resulting .ll file there is no reference to the tmpToBeDCE variable - it was eliminated since it has no real use.
   I would like to still have this variable implemented in the output .ll file.

Hi Alex,

You can try to add a use of the variable, so that compiler cannot analyze it, e.g.:

void use (int); // external function

int tmpToBeDCE;

C[i] = A[i] + B[i];
             tmpToBeDCE = 2;
         }

tmpToBeDCE++;
         use(tmpToBeDCE);
       }

Michael