DWARF language vendor extensions

Hey folks,

I'm wanting to add a LanguageType enum entry which is a vendor extension. What are the thoughts on this? Should I go along the lines of adding it's name eLanguageTypeExt* as a way to differentiate against official supported languages in the DWARF spec? In the medium-term future this language may get a real ID - hence why the Ext being in there may be wise.

Colin

Hi Colin,

From: lldb-dev-bounces@cs.uiuc.edu [mailto:lldb-dev-bounces@cs.uiuc.edu]
On Behalf Of Colin Riley
Sent: 01 April 2015 09:42
To: lldb-dev@cs.uiuc.edu
Subject: [lldb-dev] DWARF language vendor extensions

Hey folks,

I'm wanting to add a LanguageType enum entry which is a vendor extension.
What are the thoughts on this? Should I go along the lines of adding it's
name eLanguageTypeExt* as a way to differentiate against official supported
languages in the DWARF spec?

Please use the enum value from the range 0x8000-0xffff to avoid a possible future conflict.

In the medium-term future this language may get a real ID - hence why the Ext being in there may be wise.

I think the period for submission of new proposals in Dwarf5 has ended. So it may have to go in next.

Thanks,
Abid

Hey Abid,

Yeah, it's missed dwarf5 submission. Do you agree with the Ext in the language name enum? The enum i'd want to add is eLanguageTypeExtRenderScript, value 0x8e57

Colin

It is ok for me. It will be good to put the change for review so others have a chance to comment.

Thanks,
Abid

Yep, no worries. I’ll get a review up.

Adding it to llvm/include/llvm/Support/Dwarf.h would be a good start as well, that way all of the other tools will understand it too.

-eric

Adding it to llvm/include/llvm/Support/Dwarf.h would be a good start as well, that way all of the other tools will understand it too.

Actually I moved the languages to include/llvm/Support/Dwarf.def ;).

Ah. Right. That. :slight_smile: