Existing studies on the benefits of pointer analysis

Dear llvm devs,

tl;dr: What prevents llvm from switching to a fancier pointer analysis?

Currently, there exists a variety of general-purpose alias analyses in the LLVM codebase: basic-aa, globalsmodref-aa, tbaa, scev-aa, and cfl-aa. However, only the first three are actually turned on when invoking clang with -O2 or -O3 (please correct me if I’m wrong about this).

If one looks at existing research literatures, there are even more algorithm to consider for doing pointer analysis. Some are field-sensitive, some are field-based, some are flow-sensitive, some are context-sensitive. Even for flow-insensitive ones, they could also be inclusion-style (-andersen-aa) and equality-style (-steens-aa and -ds-aa). Those algorithms are often backed up by rich theoretical framework as well as preliminary evaluations which demonstrate their superior precision and/or performance.

Given such an abundance choices of pointer analyses that seem to be much better in the research land, why does real-world compiler infrastructures like llvm still rely on those three simple (and ad-hoc) ones to perform IR optimization? Based on my understanding (and again please correct me if I am wrong):

(1) The minor reason: those “better” algorithms are very hard to implement in a robust way and nobody seems to be interested in trying to write and maintain them.
(2) The major reason: it’s not clear whether those “better” algorithms are actually better for llvm. More precise pointer analyses tend to slow down compile time a lot while contributing too little to the optimization passes that use them. The benefit one gets from a more precise analysis may not justify the compile-time or the maintenance cost.

So my question here is: what kind(s) of precision really justify the cost and what kinds do not? Has anybody done any study in the past to evaluate what kinds of features in pointer analyses will benefit what kinds of optimization passes? Could there potentially be more improvement on pointer analysis precision without adding too much compile-time/maintenance cost? Has the precision/performance tradeoffs got fully explored before?

Any pointers will be much appreciated. No pun intended :slight_smile:

PS1: To be more concrete, what I am looking for is not some black-box information like “we switched from basic-aa to cfl-aa and observed 1% improvement at runtime”. I believe white-box studies such as “the licm pass failed to hoist x instructions because -tbaa is not flow sensitive” are much more interesting for understanding the problem here.

PS2: If no such evaluation exists in the past, I’d happy to do that myself and report back my findings if anyone here is interested.

Hi Jia,

If one looks at existing research literatures, there are even more algorithm to consider for doing pointer analysis.

For at least some published AA algorithms, there may be some uncertainty about software patents and/or copyright.

At one point I was interested in the status of this AA implementation by Lian Li et al. IIRC, when I contacted Lian to ask if there was any chance of getting it into LLVM, IIRC she said that her employer wouldn’t promise to relinquish all possible claims it had on that algorithm’s IP. So unfortunately, at least in the U.S., an algorithm being published in an academic journal doesn’t remove all legal risk associated with using it.

Also, speaking from my own experience, even when an AA algorithm seems to be described in great detail in some piece of literature (e.g., a phd thesis), there can still be a lot of details which are glossed over, or which seem clear when reading the document but which get a lot more confusing when one tries to actually implement it.

That can make implementing such an algorithm take far longer than one would expect based on just reading the document. (It’s also an argument in favor of requiring academic papers which describe the behavior of a software implementation to actually include a working copy of the source code, IMHO.)

So my question here is: what kind(s) of precision really justify the cost and what kinds do not? Has anybody done any study in the past to evaluate what kinds of features in pointer analyses will benefit what kinds of optimization passes?

At one point I discussed this with Daniel Berlin, but I’m having trouble find a record of the conversation. IIRC, he says that he once threw a huge amount of computing power at doing a full context-sensitive AA on some software, and the speedup he observed in the resulting program as underwhelming (10-15%?).

I can’t remember if that was with GCC or LLVM. That result is a data point, although it may not say much about how much additional speedup could be realized if the algorithms which use the AA results were themselves adapted to capitalize on fully context-sensitive, flow-sensitive, hula-dancer-on-the-dashboard AA results.

Hi Christian,

Thank you so much for the reply! Please see my comments inline.

This is news to me. Thanks for sharing it. My personal experience also coincides. And even if the paper does come with an artifact or source codes, they are usually proof-of-concept implementations with lots of important real-world corner cases ignored. I kind of expect that. As you mentioned later, most optimization passes work in a context-insensitive manner (i.e. they won’t clone a function and optimize differently on different clones). Context sensitivity on the pointer analysis side is probably not going to help a lot if the client cannot fully capitalize on it. In the settings of compiler optimization, my guess is that flow sensitivity, field sensitivity, heap model and external library annotations are the four aspects that are likely to matter. I did some preliminary experiments with licm on c programs over the last weekend. I chose licm because intuitively that’s the optimization that could have the biggest performance impact. The result suggested that tbaa, cfl-aa, scev-aa and globals-aa yields very little additional benefits over basic-aa. Again, both the methodology and benchmark selection are very immature and the results need to be double-checked, but my hope is that by looking at how aa algorithms and their clients interact I may be able to get some hints on what kind of aa a compiler really wants. – Best Regards, – Jia Chen

Dear llvm devs,

tl;dr: What prevents llvm from switching to a fancier pointer analysis?

Nothing.

Currently, there exists a variety of general-purpose alias analyses in the
LLVM codebase: basic-aa, globalsmodref-aa, tbaa, scev-aa, and cfl-aa.
However, only the first three are actually turned on when invoking clang
with -O2 or -O3 (please correct me if I'm wrong about this).

This is correct.
Eventually, i hope george will have time to get back to CFL-AA and turn it
on by default.

If one looks at existing research literatures, there are even more
algorithm to consider for doing pointer analysis. Some are field-sensitive,
some are field-based, some are flow-sensitive, some are context-sensitive.
Even for flow-insensitive ones, they could also be inclusion-style
(-andersen-aa) and equality-style (-steens-aa and -ds-aa). Those algorithms
are often backed up by rich theoretical framework as well as preliminary
evaluations which demonstrate their superior precision and/or performance.

CFL-AA is a middle ground between steens and anders, can be easily made
field and context sensitive, etc.

Given such an abundance choices of pointer analyses that seem to be much
better in the research land, why does real-world compiler infrastructures
like llvm still rely on those three simple (and ad-hoc) ones to perform IR
optimization?

Time and energy.

Based on my understanding (and again please correct me if I am wrong):

(1) The minor reason: those "better" algorithms are very hard to implement
in a robust way and nobody seems to be interested in trying to write and
maintain them.

This is false. Heck, at the time i implemented it in GCC, field-sensitive
andersen's analysis was unknown in production compilers. That's why i'm
thanked in all the papers - i did the engineering work to make it fast and
reliable.

(2) The major reason: it's not clear whether those "better" algorithms are
actually better for llvm. More precise pointer analyses tend to slow down
compile time a lot while contributing too little to the optimization passes
that use them. The benefit one gets from a more precise analysis may not
justify the compile-time or the maintenance cost.

CFL-AA is probably the right trade-off here. You can stop at any time and
have correct answers, you can be as lazy as you like.
etc.

The reality is i think you overlook the realistic answer:

3. Nobody has had time or energy to fix up CFL-AA or SCEV-AA. They spend
their time on lower-hanging fruit until that lower hanging fruit is gone.

IE For the moment, CFL-AA and SCEV-AA and ... are not the thing holding
llvm back.

So my question here is: what kind(s) of precision really justify the cost
and what kinds do not?

Depends entirely on your applications.

Has anybody done any study in the past to evaluate what kinds of features
in pointer analyses will benefit what kinds of optimization passes?

Yes.
Chris did many years ago, and i've done one more recently.

Could there potentially be more improvement on pointer analysis precision
without adding too much compile-time/maintenance cost?

Yes.

Has the precision/performance tradeoffs got fully explored before?

Yes

Any pointers will be much appreciated. No pun intended :slight_smile:

PS1: To be more concrete, what I am looking for is not some black-box
information like "we switched from basic-aa to cfl-aa and observed 1%
improvement at runtime". I believe white-box studies such as "the licm pass
failed to hoist x instructions because -tbaa is not flow sensitive" are
much more interesting for understanding the problem here.

White-box studies are very application specific, and often very pass
specific.

PS2: If no such evaluation exists in the past, I'd happy to do that myself
and report back my findings if anyone here is interested.

I don't think any of the world is set up to make that valuable.

Nothing takes advantage of context sensitivity, flow sensitivity, etc.

Hi Jia,

algorithm to consider for doing pointer analysis.

For at least some published AA algorithms, there may be some uncertainty
about software patents and/or copyright.

At one point I was interested in the status of this AA implementation
<https://dl.acm.org/citation.cfm?id=2466483&gt; by Lian Li et al. IIRC,
when I contacted Lian to ask if there was any chance of getting it into
LLVM, IIRC she said that her employer wouldn't promise to relinquish all
possible claims it had on that algorithm's IP. So unfortunately, at least
in the U.S., an algorithm being published in an academic journal doesn't
remove all legal risk associated with using it.

I wouldn't worry about this part. I'm a pointer analysis guy and an IP
lawyer.
I'm pretty careful about what algorithms we end up with in LLVM :slight_smile:

Also, speaking from my own experience, even when an AA algorithm seems to
be described in great detail in some piece of literature (e.g., a phd
thesis), there can still be a lot of details which are glossed over, or
which seem clear when reading the document but which get a lot more
confusing when one tries to actually implement it.

Yes, i had a blog post on this one, which was basically titled "most
pointer analysis research is bullshit". People mostly do research
implementations, and ignore little things like "the effect of external
function calls" (or worse "stub all of them"), and yes, implementing those
things significantly changes the time bounds. Or they do things like tell
me that field-sensitivity slows nothing down because they are working on
java, where you can't take the address of fields :slight_smile:

Over the years, you get a good eye for what will end up practical.

GCC's implementation of andersen's, which uses hardekopf's research and
work, is *very* fast in both Intra and inter procedural mode, field
sensitive, and handles all issues.

Adding context sensitivity to it would be expensive, however.

That can make implementing such an algorithm take far longer than one
would expect based on just reading the document. (It's also an argument in
favor of requiring academic papers which describe the behavior of a
software implementation to actually include a working copy of the source
code, IMHO.)

Yes.
This is one of the reasons's i always liked ben's research so much. He
published all code and benchmarks.

Note also that you a lot of them do have source code, you just have to look
really hard :wink:

and what kinds do not? Has anybody done any study in the past to evaluate
what kinds of features in pointer analyses will benefit what kinds of
optimization passes?

At one point I discussed this with Daniel Berlin, but I'm having trouble
find a record of the conversation. IIRC, he says that he once threw a huge
amount of computing power at doing a *full* context-sensitive AA on some
software, and the speedup he observed in the resulting program as
underwhelming (10-15%?).

Yes. But see below.

I can't remember if that was with GCC or LLVM. That result is a data
point, although it may not say much about how much additional speedup could
be realized if the algorithms which use the AA results were themselves
adapted to capitalize on fully context-sensitive, flow-sensitive,
hula-dancer-on-the-dashboard AA results.

Note however that this is going to be true of any new AA algorithm. You
have to have the infrastructure necessary to make use of it, you have to
tune optimizations to use the information well, etc.

Realistically, getting the infrastructure ready and tuning it is a year or
two of work, at least (for one person).

As i mentioned, at this point, there is still much lower hanging fruit.
When there isn't, i suspect we'll get back to AA.

Hi Daniel,

Regarding CFL-AA: in my understanding, cfl-aa does not introduce a new precision tradeoff. It is merely a demand-driven way of implementing existing analyses, by extending those algorithms to track additional “pointed-to-by” information. Laziness may help with the running time of the cfl analysis when only partial points-to info is needed, but if the client wants to do a whole-program analysis and require whole-program points-to info (which is usually true for optimizing compilers since they will eventually examine and touch every piece of the codes given to it), should cfl-aa be no different than traditional whatever-sensitive pointer analysis? I’d love to hear some examples of “lower-hanging fruit” in LLVM, especially in the area of middle-end analyses and optimizations. I thought LLVM is mature enough that any obvious chances of improvement in analyses and optimization have already been taken, no? Great! Are they published somewhere? Can the data be shared somehow? And I understand that. My goal is to look for commonalities among passes and applications. However, if the existing studies you mentioned above are extensive and conclusive enough to show that the aas we have today have fully exploited almost all such commonalities, then it’s probably a better idea for me to find something else to work on. But again, I’d like to see the data first. I agree that nothing takes advantage of context sensitivity. But I would argue against flow sensitivity, field sensitivity, heap model and external function models. Flow sensitivity is helpful when the optimization pass itself is flow-sensitive (e.g. adce, gvn), and field sensitivity is helpful when a struct contains multiple pointers. Heap sensitivity is basically what motivates Chris Lattner’s PLDI’07 paper, and external function models are helpful since without them the analysis has to be extremely conservative and concludes everything that external functions touch all may-alias each other. – Best Regards, – Jia Chen

Hi Daniel,

Regarding CFL-AA: in my understanding, cfl-aa does not introduce a new precision tradeoff.

You can make it do what you want much easier than existing frameworks in my experience.

It is merely a demand-driven way of implementing existing analyses, by extending those algorithms to track additional “pointed-to-by” information. Laziness may help with the running time of the cfl analysis when only partial points-to info is needed, but if the client wants to do a whole-program analysis and require whole-program points-to info (which is usually true for optimizing compilers since they will eventually examine and touch every piece of the codes given to it), should cfl-aa be no different than traditional whatever-sensitive pointer analysis?

CFL, at least when I ran the numbers, was faster at all pairs than existing analysis.

I’d love to hear some examples of “lower-hanging fruit” in LLVM, especially in the area of middle-end analyses and optimizations. I thought LLVM is mature enough that any obvious chances of improvement in analyses and optimization have already been taken, no?

No.
For example, gvn and pre are fairly simple implementations that miss obvious optimizations.

Great! Are they published somewhere? Can the data be shared somehow?

No, and sadly, no

And I understand that. My goal is to look for commonalities among passes and applications.

This generally just discovers things we already know, which is that certain passes have deficiencies.

However, if the existing studies you mentioned above are extensive and conclusive enough to show that the aas we have today have fully exploited almost all such commonalities, then it’s probably a better idea for me to find something else to work on. But again, I’d like to see the data first.

I agree that nothing takes advantage of context sensitivity. But I would argue against flow sensitivity, field sensitivity, heap model and external function models

I’m talking about infrastructure wise, nothing in llvm can take advantage because the APIs don’t exist.

. Flow sensitivity is helpful when the optimization pass itself is flow-sensitive (e.g. adce, gvn),

No api exists that they could use right now for this, and you’d have to change things to understand answers are not valid over the entire function.

and field sensitivity is helpful when a struct contains multiple pointers. Heap sensitivity is basically what motivates Chris Lattner’s PLDI’07 paper, and external function models are helpful since without them the analysis has to be extremely conservative and concludes everything that external functions touch all may-alias each other.

I don’t disagree, this is the one to two years of work I said would be needed

This sounds like a good GSOC project.

Having the evaluation done is great, but if you can't share, than
that's pretty much useless to the community at large.

Even if a student does a less thorough evaluation, having something
out is better than having nothing, and with your expertise, I'm sure
we can get such a student doing some pretty capable analysis with
little resources.

cheers,
--renato

It is merely a demand-driven way of implementing existing analyses, by extending those algorithms to track additional “pointed-to-by” information. Laziness may help with the running time of the cfl analysis when only partial points-to info is needed, but if the client wants to do a whole-program analysis and require whole-program points-to info (which is usually true for optimizing compilers since they will eventually examine and touch every piece of the codes given to it), should cfl-aa be no different than traditional whatever-sensitive pointer analysis?

CFL, at least when I ran the numbers, was faster at all pairs than existing analysis.

There could be many reasons for it, e.g. better implementations. Again, my point is that cfl-aa is more of an implementation strategy than a fundamentally superior approach.

No, and sadly, no

:frowning:

I’m talking about infrastructure wise, nothing in llvm can take advantage because the APIs don’t exist.

. Flow sensitivity is helpful when the optimization pass itself is flow-sensitive (e.g. adce, gvn),

No api exists that they could use right now for this, and you’d have to change things to understand answers are not valid over the entire function.

I see what you are saying now. Sometimes flow/ctx-insensitive alias queries can benefit from a flow/ctx-sensitive analysis, yet my intuition is that such cases are likely to be rare. I could go ahead and modify those passes myself to carry on the study, but that option probably won’t be too interesting to the community.

Thank you very much for pointing that out to me.

Has anybody done any study in the past to evaluate what kinds of features
in pointer analyses will benefit what kinds of optimization passes?

Yes.
Chris did many years ago, and i've done one more recently.

No, and sadly, no

Need any volunteers?

I’d be interested in any work that relates to pointer analysis, including this as well as the " one to two years of work" Daniel mentioned. What held me back from submitting a proposal is the concern that such kind of explorative work whose outcome is not guaranteed to be useful may not be attractive enough to the LLVM devs.

>>> Has anybody done any study in the past to evaluate what kinds of
features
>>> in pointer analyses will benefit what kinds of optimization passes?
>>
>> Yes.
>> Chris did many years ago, and i've done one more recently.
>>
>> Great! Are they published somewhere? Can the data be shared somehow?
>
> No, and sadly, no

Having the evaluation done is great, but if you can't share, than
that's pretty much useless to the community at large.

Which is why i've never mentioned it or used it in the community :wink:

Even if a student does a less thorough evaluation, having something
out is better than having nothing, and with your expertise, I'm sure
we can get such a student doing some pretty capable analysis with
little resources.

FWIW, i'm not sure this is worthwhile at this time, because we pretty much
know enough of the low-hanging answers to keep someone busy with
implementation work for years.

(IE we know that scev-aa would be of significant benefit to PRE and GVN,
etc).

I would rather see someone spend their time getting SCEV-AA on by default
or CFL-AA on by default than doing another evaluation.

It is merely a demand-driven way of implementing existing analyses, by

extending those algorithms to track additional "pointed-to-by" information.
Laziness may help with the running time of the cfl analysis when only
partial points-to info is needed, but if the client wants to do a
whole-program analysis and require whole-program points-to info (which is
usually true for optimizing compilers since they will eventually examine
and touch every piece of the codes given to it), should cfl-aa be no
different than traditional whatever-sensitive pointer analysis?

CFL, at least when I ran the numbers, was faster at all pairs than
existing analysis.

There could be many reasons for it, e.g. better implementations.

FWIW: the implementations i compared against are completely state of the
art and very well engineered (IE not research crap :P).

Again, my point is that cfl-aa is more of an implementation strategy than
a fundamentally superior approach.

The first part is true, but the second part depends on your definition of
"superior approach".

You can solve andersens and steengaards and everything else using standard
dataflow solvers, and that's an implementation strategy, but it will be
really slow.

Part of the tradeoff is how fast something runs, and approaches that are
orders of magnitude faster often change the calculus of what people do. For
example, before hardekopf's work, andersens was considered too slow to be
practical in a real compiler.

Now, GCC does it by default.

So i would call that approach a superior approach :slight_smile:

So saying that CFL-AA offers nothing superior in terms of approach, IMHO,
misunderstands the nature of the problem. If your goal is to get precision
at all costs, then yes, it's not superior. If your goal is to get
something into a production compiler, that is understandable, maintainable,
can turn on and off field and context sensitivity easily, etc, then it may
be a superior approach.

I'm talking about infrastructure wise, nothing in llvm can take advantage
because the APIs don't exist.

. Flow sensitivity is helpful when the optimization pass itself is

flow-sensitive (e.g. adce, gvn),

No api exists that they could use right now for this, and you'd have to
change things to understand answers are not valid over the entire function.

I see what you are saying now. Sometimes flow/ctx-insensitive alias
queries can benefit from a flow/ctx-sensitive analysis, yet my intuition is
that such cases are likely to be rare.

Yes.

I could go ahead and modify those passes myself to carry on the study, but
that option probably won't be too interesting to the community.

Right, because then you aren't testing LLVM, you are testing LLVM with
better infrastructure :slight_smile:

Thank you very much for pointing that out to me.

Happy to :wink:

Which is why i've never mentioned it or used it in the community :wink:

Makes sense. :slight_smile:

I would rather see someone spend their time getting SCEV-AA on by default or
CFL-AA on by default than doing another evaluation.

But those may not be simple enough for a GSOC, that's why I mentioned it.

The analysis could not only get us a birds view of the problem ahead,
but also introduce new developers to AA, which would make their future
work on SCEV-AA or CFL-AA easier. Kind of a teaching tool to get more
AA-savvy people.

cheers,
--renato

> Which is why i've never mentioned it or used it in the community :wink:

Makes sense. :slight_smile:

> I would rather see someone spend their time getting SCEV-AA on by
default or
> CFL-AA on by default than doing another evaluation.

But those may not be simple enough for a GSOC, that's why I mentioned it.

CFL-AA should just be fixing performance regressions, and maybe a little
bug fixing, which is hopefully easy enough. It's already fast enough as a
pass.

SCEV-AA would be harder (must make SCEV-AA faster).

The analysis could not only get us a birds view of the problem ahead,

but also introduce new developers to AA, which would make their future
work on SCEV-AA or CFL-AA easier. Kind of a teaching tool to get more
AA-savvy people.

Sure.

From: "Daniel Berlin via llvm-dev" <llvm-dev@lists.llvm.org>
To: "Renato Golin" <renato.golin@linaro.org>, "George Burgess IV"
<george.burgess.iv@gmail.com>
Cc: "llvm-dev" <llvm-dev@lists.llvm.org>, "Jia Chen"
<jchen@cs.utexas.edu>
Sent: Monday, March 21, 2016 2:07:44 PM
Subject: Re: [llvm-dev] Existing studies on the benefits of pointer
analysis

> > Which is why i've never mentioned it or used it in the community
> > :wink:

> Makes sense. :slight_smile:

> > I would rather see someone spend their time getting SCEV-AA on by
> > default or

> > CFL-AA on by default than doing another evaluation.

> But those may not be simple enough for a GSOC, that's why I
> mentioned
> it.

CFL-AA should just be fixing performance regressions, and maybe a
little bug fixing, which is hopefully easy enough. It's already fast
enough as a pass.

My understanding from George is that there are self-hosting miscompiles if you disable all AA except for CFL-AA. This is what is preventing us from enabling it by default. George, is that right?

-Hal

You can solve andersens and steengaards and everything else using standard dataflow solvers, and that's an implementation strategy, but it will be really slow.

Part of the tradeoff is how fast something runs, and approaches that are orders of magnitude faster often change the calculus of what people do. For example, before hardekopf's work, andersens was considered too slow to be practical in a real compiler.

So saying that CFL-AA offers nothing superior in terms of approach, IMHO, misunderstands the nature of the problem. If your goal is to get precision at all costs, then yes, it's not superior. If your goal is to get something into a production compiler, that is understandable, maintainable, can turn on and off field and context sensitivity easily, etc, then it may be a superior approach.

Apparently "superior approach" is a misnomer on my side. My apologies. What I should have said is "an approach with superior precision". Both cfl and Ben Hardekopf's work you mentioned (which improves analysis performance by using SSA transformation as a pre-pass to eliminate easy-to-analyze pointers) can be viewed as optimizations on standard dataflow solver, but at the end of the day they do nothing more than that. From a client's perspective, they are no different from standard solvers except they are faster.

I do acknowledge that cfl may work better in practice (although I held different opinions about understandability and maintainability). It's just that I tend to make judgment of pointer analysis based on the need of a client. Again, I meant no offense and I apologize for my inappropriate choice of words.

As of late-August 2015, putting CFL-AA behind BasicAA caused miscompiles when trying to bootstrap Clang/LLVM, yeah. It didn’t seem that there were many new errors (I think it caused ~10 tests to fail, where fail = either segv or produce the wrong output), but it did end up breaking things. I don’t recall if standalone CFL-AA causes miscompiles, but I highly doubt the breakages I observed were BasicAA’s fault.

WRT speed, time make -j14 on my box (6c/12t) didn’t show a meaningful increase in compile time when CFL-AA gets enabled (read: it got lost in the noise). So, I agree that it’s probably fast enough at the moment; if we want to enhance it, we should focus on making it bootstrap clang+LLVM/making it more accurate.

You can solve andersens and steengaards and everything else using

standard dataflow solvers, and that's an implementation strategy, but it
will be really slow.

Part of the tradeoff is how fast something runs, and approaches that are
orders of magnitude faster often change the calculus of what people do. For
example, before hardekopf's work, andersens was considered too slow to be
practical in a real compiler.

So saying that CFL-AA offers nothing superior in terms of approach, IMHO,
misunderstands the nature of the problem. If your goal is to get precision
at all costs, then yes, it's not superior. If your goal is to get
something into a production compiler, that is understandable, maintainable,
can turn on and off field and context sensitivity easily, etc, then it may
be a superior approach.

Apparently "superior approach" is a misnomer on my side. My apologies.

No worries at all!

What I should have said is "an approach with superior precision". Both cfl
and Ben Hardekopf's work you mentioned (which improves analysis performance
by using SSA transformation as a pre-pass to eliminate easy-to-analyze
pointers)

can be viewed as optimizations on standard dataflow solver,

Well, not quite. Just to be pedantic:
It does hash value numbering and CSE and some other things on the
constraint graph.

CFL is not a dataflow solver at all. It's a graph reachability solver.
Ben's work is a constraint solver.
It does not know or care about CFG's, basic blocks, etc.
Dataflow solvers are like Ryder and Landi's approach

but at the end of the day they do nothing more than that.

From a client's perspective, they are no different from standard solvers
except they are faster.

Yes.

I do acknowledge that cfl may work better in practice (although I held
different opinions about understandability and maintainability).

Sure. Having implemented tons and tons and tons of these algorithms and
things, i'd argue that constraint solving tends to be easier to understand
once you get it, but has limitations that are harder to overcome than in
CFL land.

It's just that I tend to make judgment of pointer analysis based on the
need of a client.

Thinking about individual clients, while useful, is not always the right
end game.

It pretty much does not matter if i improve GVN if now it just catches
cases some other cheap pass does anyway.
Maybe it does in some ways, but it's often not going to let you remove that
other pass, or the expense of improving it is not worth the cost.

So providing context-sensitive AA to a pass so it can do an amazing job
will buy you pretty much nothing if the other passes can do the same job
with less info.

Again, I meant no offense and I apologize for my inappropriate choice of
words.

It was neither offensive nor inappropriate :slight_smile:

Just to chime in here, your results match my experience and expectations with LICM as well. Between basic-aa, and TBAA (specifically LLVM’s implementation thereof), I haven’t seen a lot of cases where an imprecision in the alias analysis prevents hoisting. However, if you’re interested in LICM specifically, I have definitely seen cases where the precision of AliasSetTracker (our grouping of AA results to prevent O(n^2) queries) prevents hoisting in spurious cases. AST could use some serious attention, both from an engineering standpoint and from (possibly) a theoretically one.

Hi Christian,

Thank you so much for the reply! Please see my comments inline.

Hi Jia,

algorithm to consider for doing pointer analysis.

For at least some published AA algorithms, there may be some uncertainty
about software patents and/or copyright.

At one point I was interested in the status of this AA implementation
<https://dl.acm.org/citation.cfm?id=2466483&gt; by Lian Li et al. IIRC,
when I contacted Lian to ask if there was any chance of getting it into
LLVM, IIRC she said that her employer wouldn't promise to relinquish all
possible claims it had on that algorithm's IP. So unfortunately, at least
in the U.S., an algorithm being published in an academic journal doesn't
remove all legal risk associated with using it.

This is news to me. Thanks for sharing it.

Also, speaking from my own experience, even when an AA algorithm seems to
be described in great detail in some piece of literature (e.g., a phd
thesis), there can still be a lot of details which are glossed over, or
which seem clear when reading the document but which get a lot more
confusing when one tries to actually implement it.

That can make implementing such an algorithm take far longer than one
would expect based on just reading the document. (It's also an argument in
favor of requiring academic papers which describe the behavior of a
software implementation to actually include a working copy of the source
code, IMHO.)

My personal experience also coincides. And even if the paper does come
with an artifact or source codes, they are usually proof-of-concept
implementations with lots of important real-world corner cases ignored.

and what kinds do not? Has anybody done any study in the past to evaluate
what kinds of features in pointer analyses will benefit what kinds of
optimization passes?

At one point I discussed this with Daniel Berlin, but I'm having trouble
find a record of the conversation. IIRC, he says that he once threw a huge
amount of computing power at doing a *full* context-sensitive AA on some
software, and the speedup he observed in the resulting program as
underwhelming (10-15%?).

I kind of expect that. As you mentioned later, most optimization passes
work in a context-insensitive manner (i.e. they won't clone a function and
optimize differently on different clones). Context sensitivity on the
pointer analysis side is probably not going to help a lot if the client
cannot fully capitalize on it. In the settings of compiler optimization, my
guess is that flow sensitivity, field sensitivity, heap model and external
library annotations are the four aspects that are likely to matter.

I did some preliminary experiments with licm on c programs over the last
weekend. I chose licm because intuitively that's the optimization that
could have the biggest performance impact. The result suggested that tbaa,
cfl-aa, scev-aa and globals-aa yields very little additional benefits over
basic-aa. Again, both the methodology and benchmark selection are very
immature and the results need to be double-checked, but my hope is that by
looking at how aa algorithms and their clients interact I may be able to
get some hints on what kind of aa a compiler really wants.

Just to chime in here, your results match my experience and expectations
with LICM as well. Between basic-aa, and TBAA (specifically LLVM's
implementation thereof), I haven't seen a lot of cases where an imprecision
in the alias analysis prevents hoisting.

Yeah, at best, for LICM, it's just going to tell you the best place to
insert runtime checks. LICM has a specific goal, and it's usually not AA
that prevents proving something loop invariant. Most loads/stores are also
either trivially loop invariant, or impossible to prove loop invariant.

More general PRE and GVN-like opts (basically, load elimination, load
hoisting, dead store elimination, store sinking) are where i expect better
AA to help the most off the top of my head. But to figure out the gains,
you'd really need to instrument at runtime to figure out what the
theoretical maximum gain is (IE when things are equivalent that it is not
proving equivalent).

*However*, if you're interested in LICM specifically, I have *definitely*
seen cases where the precision of AliasSetTracker (our grouping of AA
results to prevent O(n^2) queries) prevents hoisting in spurious cases.
AST could use some serious attention, both from an engineering standpoint
and from (possibly) a theoretically one.

You already know my view on this one: It's going to be remarkably hard to
make AST work the way folks want it and have it be incremental and
completely agnostic of anything but the AA API.

It's just really hard if not provably impossible to do this incrementally
and avoid duplicate work, and get precise results and ...

On the other hand, it's pretty easy if you basically say "i provide list of
all pointers and statements i care about, you make me some sets", and you
let it figure out the answers upfront.

(it's also not clear to me why AST is the right abstraction for LICM to
work on top of, but that's neither here nor there :P)