Gather load in LLVM IR

Hi All,
I was in the process of implementing a gathering load for my language. I got the getelementptr vector form working. However there doesn't seem to be a way to load a vector of values using the vector of pointers from getelementptr. Am I correct that this is not possible with LLVM IR currently (apart from with the avx2 gather intrinsic)?

And if so, are there plans to allow loading of a vector of values?

I think extending the load instruction to take a vector of pointers (as would be produced by getelementptr) would work well.

Thanks,
     Nick C.

Hi All,
I was in the process of implementing a gathering load for my language. I got the getelementptr vector form working. However there doesn't seem to be a way to load a vector of values using the vector of pointers from getelementptr. Am I correct that this is not possible with LLVM IR currently (apart from with the avx2 gather intrinsic)?

I believe you are correct. This is not currently possible.

And if so, are there plans to allow loading of a vector of values?

I think extending the load instruction to take a vector of pointers (as would be produced by getelementptr) would work well.

This is of interests to a lot of people and I think it's a reasonable time to start the discussion. Do you have any concrete proposal in mind?

Evan

Hi Evan, all,
The most obvious thing to me would be to extend the load instruction to have an additional form that takes a vector of pointers instead of a single pointer.
This form would return a vector of values instead of a single value.
If a gather instruction is not available on the target, then the load could be lowered to a series of scalar loads and insertelements.

Thanks,
     Nick

Hi Nick,

Hi Evan, all,
The most obvious thing to me would be to extend the load instruction to have an additional form that takes a vector of pointers instead of a single pointer.
If a gather instruction is not available on the target, then the load could be lowered to a series of scalar loads and insert elements.

Are you only interested in gather, or scatter as well?

What are the limitations on the vector of pointers?
- Do they have to have power-of-two number of elements?
- Do they have to point to scalars? If not, does it support any struct/vector type, or only vectors and homogeneous structs with all the elements of the same type?

I ask the latter because if I recall correctly some GPUs have support for doing 16x4 gathers that result in 4 16-wide vectors, where the memory is in array-of-structures form, but the resulting registers are in structure-of-arrays form, i.e. the result is four 16-wide vectors with the elements of the source memory placed such that they were loaded with a stride. In other words if the input pointers pointed to a struct like:
  struct S { float a, b, c, d; }
the result of gathering from a vector of pointers-to-S would be four vectors, one with all the a’s, one with all the b’s, etc.

Mark

Hi Mark,

Hi Nick,

Hi Evan, all,
If a gather instruction is not available on the target, then the load could be lowered to a series of scalar loads and insert elements.

Are you only interested in gather, or scatter as well?

Currently I'm only interested in gather.

What are the limitations on the vector of pointers?
- Do they have to have power-of-two number of elements?

I would prefer there was no power-of-two restriction, since that restriction has been eased for the LLVM vector type in general.

- Do they have to point to scalars? If not, does it support any struct/vector type, or only vectors and homogeneous structs with all the elements of the same type?

Currently I would be happy to just have scalars handled. Presumably if scalars are handled initially then requirements can be relaxed in the future.

Thanks,
     Nick