GSOC & Outreachy Brainstorming - Meeting Set! Wednesday 9am PST

If you are interested in brainstorming ways to improve our GSOC & Outreachy involvement, please join this meeting!

Tanya Lattner is inviting you to a scheduled Zoom meeting.

Topic: GSOC & Outreachy Brainstorming
Time: Feb 9, 2022 09:00 AM Pacific Time (US and Canada)

Join Zoom Meeting

Meeting ID: 876 0708 5241
Passcode: 267963
One tap mobile
+16699006833,87607085241#,*267963# US (San Jose)
+13462487799,87607085241#,*267963# US (Houston)

Dial by your location
+1 669 900 6833 US (San Jose)
+1 346 248 7799 US (Houston)
+1 253 215 8782 US (Tacoma)
+1 301 715 8592 US (Washington DC)
+1 312 626 6799 US (Chicago)
+1 929 205 6099 US (New York)
Meeting ID: 876 0708 5241
Passcode: 267963
Find your local number: Zoom International Dial-in Numbers - Zoom

I’m glad to hear that this will be moving forward! I won’t be able to join the call, but had several comments/questions.

1. Is there a limit to the number of projects that the LLVM community is allowed/able to support for GSOC and Outreachy?
  2. The goal is raising participation in projects sponsored by LLVM. Is the main barrier getting good projects/mentors, or attracting participants? I’m guessing both-and they are also likely linked.

In general, it would be nice to have a recording or meeting minutes.

Hi! Sorry you can’t make the call. These are good questions.

Regarding question #1 - For GSOC, we are limited by how many slots Google gives us. We usually get 10-15 slots for GSOC (or more). For Outreachy, we are limited by how many sponsorships we have. The LLVM Foundation has budgeted 2 sponsorships and we have 1 outside sponsor for Outreachy. So right now the max is 3, but if we had an amazing number of projects/interns, we could try to find more money to fund more through Outreachy.

• I think our involvement with GSOC has been great over the years, but I would like to encourage more folks to become mentors or co-mentor so that we can have new folks participating and bringing new ideas to the table. It might be great to pair up long time mentors with newer mentors so we can pass on knowledge and share the load.
  • GSOC has changed its project requirements and Outreachy has their own. I think knowing how to craft a project so it meets those requirements and the intern is successful can be challenging for some. I’d like to provide more support here if possible.
  • Getting projects/mentors for Outreachy has been hard in the past because the process is more involved and the timing has not aligned with GSOC (or it was confusing for people to try to submit a project to both).
  • With Outreachy we have also gotten fewer applicants for the projects. For example, we had a project last winter that got no applicants. GSOC tends to not have a problem of having enough applicants. That could be because the applicant pools are different though.
  • I don’t have good statistics on how many GSOC/Outreachy students stay with the project afterwards, but the end goal is to keep them involved for years after. Can we do a better job supporting this?

I’ll see if we can record the meeting, but at the very least we will take notes and continue the conversation afterwards. Ideally I would like to get a group of folks to be working on these mentorship programs year round.

2 Likes