Help Building LLVM for Android

Hey Guys,

I’m working on a project in Android related to System-level Audio DSP Effects for Tuning Android Audio. I want to leverage Faust (https://faust.grame.fr/) to allow users to program their own filters. Faust provides a libfaust implementation which includes a JIT Compiler which leverages LLVM and seems to be the best path for me to use. Unfortunately I’m having problems cross-compiling LLVM for Android on my Windows Dev machine. Wondering if anyone has any advice for me?

I’ve been trying to use the android-ndk cmake & toolchains to build LLVM so that I can cross-compile Faust against the Android LLVM build. I’ve managed to get Android’s cmake to generate an Android Gradle Ninja project, but when I try to build it I get lots of errors that seem to indicate that the Ninja project is invalid, such as the following errors :

FAILED: cmTC_4a28c.exe

cmd.exe /C “cd . &&
C:\Users\jgiannone\AppData\Local\Android\Sdk\ndk-bundle\toolchains\llvm\prebuilt\windows-x86_64\bin\clang.exe
CMakeFiles/cmTC_4a28c.dir/testCCompiler.c.obj -o cmTC_4a28c.exe
-Wl,–out-implib,libcmTC_4a28c.dll.a
-Wl,–major-image-version,0,–minor-image-version,0 -lkernel32 -luser32
-lgdi32 -lwinspool -lshell32 -lole32 -loleaut32 -luuid -lcomdlg32
-ladvapi32 && cd .”

clang: error: unable to execute command: program not executable

clang: error: linker command failed with exit code 1 (use -v to see
invocation)

ninja: build stopped: subcommand failed.

Thanks!

Hey Guys,

Still struggling with this. Wondering if anyone has any recommendations?

The command I’m using to generate the Ninja Build Files and execute the build are :

AndroidSdkDir="$LOCALAPPDATA/Android/Sdk"
AndroidCmakeExe="$AndroidSdkDir/cmake/3.10.2.4988404/bin/cmake.exe"
AndroidNinjaExe="$AndroidSdkDir/cmake/3.10.2.4988404/bin/ninja.exe"
NdkBundle="$AndroidSdkDir/ndk-bundle/"
ToolchainFile="$NdkBundle/build/cmake/android.toolchain.cmake"
ArchTargets=“armeabi-v7a”

$AndroidCmakeExe
-DBUILD_SHARED_LIBS=1
-DLLVM_BUILD_LLVM_DYLIB=1
-DLLVM_BUILD_TOOLS=0
-DLLVM_BUILD_UTILS=0
-DLLVM_INCLUDE_BENCHMARKS=0
-DLLVM_INCLUDE_DOCS=0
-DLLVM_INCLUDE_EXAMPLES=0
-DLLVM_INCLUDE_GO_TESTS=0
-DLLVM_INCLUDE_RUNTIMES=1
-DLLVM_INCLUDE_TESTS=0
-DLLVM_INCLUDE_TOOLS=0
-DLLVM_INCLUDE_UTILS=0

-DLLVM_DEFAULT_TARGET_TRIPLE=armv7a-linux-androideabi
-DLLVM_TARGET_ARCH=ARM
-DLLVM_TARGETS_TO_BUILD=ARM

-DPYTHON_EXECUTABLE="$NdkBundle/prebuilt/windows-x86_64/bin/python2.7.exe"
-DANDROID_NDK="$NdkBundle"
-DANDROID_ABI="$archTarget"

-DCMAKE_INSTALL_PREFIX=…/…/build-android/armeabi-v7a
-DCMAKE_CROSSCOMPILING=True
-DCMAKE_SYSTEM_NAME=Android
-DANDROID_PLATFORM=android-21
-DCMAKE_SYSTEM_VERSION=21
-DCMAKE_ANDROID_NDK="$NdkBundle"
-DCMAKE_TOOLCHAIN_FILE="$ToolchainFile"
-DCMAKE_MAKE_PROGRAM="$AndroidNinjaExe"
-G “Ninja”
…/…/llvm-8.0.0.src

$AndroidCmakeExe --build .

And the full error output from the build is :

[186/1329] Creating export file for LLVMHello
FAILED: lib/Transforms/Hello/LLVMHello.exports
cmd.exe /C “cd /D C:\JStash\Projects\llvm\llvm_android_project\armeabi-v7a\lib\Transforms\Hello && echo “LLVM_8 {” > LLVMHello.exports && ( grep -q [[:alnum:]] C:/JStash/Projects/llvm/llvm-8.0.0.src/lib/Transforms/Hello/Hello.exports && echo " global:” >> LLVMHello.exports || : ) && sed -e s/$/;/ -e “s/^/ /” < C:/JStash/Projects/llvm/llvm-8.0.0.src/lib/Transforms/Hello/Hello.exports >> LLVMHello.exports && echo " local: *;" >> LLVMHello.exports && echo }; >> LLVMHello.exports"
‘:’ is not recognized as an internal or external command,
operable program or batch file.
[195/1329] Configuring NATIVE LLVM…
FAILED: NATIVE/CMakeCache.txt
cmd.exe /C “cd /D C:\JStash\Projects\llvm\llvm_android_project\armeabi-v7a\NATIVE && C:\Users\jgiannone\AppData\Local\Android\Sdk\cmake\3.10.2.4988404\bin\cmake.exe -G Ninja -DCMAKE_MAKE_PROGRAM=“C:\Users\jgiannone\AppData\Local/Android/Sdk/cmake/3.10.2.4988404/bin/ninja.exe” -DCMAKE_C_COMPILER=C:/Users/jgiannone/AppData/Local/Android/Sdk/ndk-bundle/toolchains/llvm/prebuilt/windows-x86_64/bin/clang.exe -DCMAKE_CXX_COMPILER=C:/Users/jgiannone/AppData/Local/Android/Sdk/ndk-bundle/toolchains/llvm/prebuilt/windows-x86_64/bin/clang++.exe C:/JStash/Projects/llvm/llvm-8.0.0.src -DLLVM_TARGET_IS_CROSSCOMPILE_HOST=TRUE -DLLVM_TARGETS_TO_BUILD=“ARM” -DLLVM_EXPERIMENTAL_TARGETS_TO_BUILD=”" -DLLVM_DEFAULT_TARGET_TRIPLE=“armv7a-linux-androideabi” -DLLVM_TARGET_ARCH=“ARM” -DLLVM_TEMPORARILY_ALLOW_OLD_TOOLCHAIN=“OFF” -DCMAKE_BUILD_TYPE=Release"
– The C compiler identification is Clang 8.0.7
– The CXX compiler identification is Clang 8.0.7
– The ASM compiler identification is Clang
– Found assembler: C:/Users/jgiannone/AppData/Local/Android/Sdk/ndk-bundle/toolchains/llvm/prebuilt/windows-x86_64/bin/clang.exe
– Check for working C compiler: C:/Users/jgiannone/AppData/Local/Android/Sdk/ndk-bundle/toolchains/llvm/prebuilt/windows-x86_64/bin/clang.exe
– Check for working C compiler: C:/Users/jgiannone/AppData/Local/Android/Sdk/ndk-bundle/toolchains/llvm/prebuilt/windows-x86_64/bin/clang.exe – broken
CMake Error at C:/Users/jgiannone/AppData/Local/Android/Sdk/cmake/3.10.2.4988404/share/cmake-3.10/Modules/CMakeTestCCompiler.cmake:52 (message):
The C compiler

“C:/Users/jgiannone/AppData/Local/Android/Sdk/ndk-bundle/toolchains/llvm/prebuilt/windows-x86_64/bin/clang.exe”

is not able to compile a simple test program.

It fails with the following output:

Change Dir: C:/JStash/Projects/llvm/llvm_android_project/armeabi-v7a/NATIVE/CMakeFiles/CMakeTmp

Run Build Command:“C:\Users\jgiannone\AppData\Local/Android/Sdk/cmake/3.10.2.4988404/bin/ninja.exe” “cmTC_43bcf”
[1/2] Building C object CMakeFiles/cmTC_43bcf.dir/testCCompiler.c.obj
[2/2] Linking C executable cmTC_43bcf.exe
FAILED: cmTC_43bcf.exe
cmd.exe /C “cd . && C:\Users\jgiannone\AppData\Local\Android\Sdk\ndk-bundle\toolchains\llvm\prebuilt\windows-x86_64\bin\clang.exe CMakeFiles/cmTC_43bcf.dir/testCCompiler.c.obj -o cmTC_43bcf.exe -Wl,–out-implib,libcmTC_43bcf.dll.a -Wl,–major-image-version,0,–minor-image-version,0 -lkernel32 -luser32 -lgdi32 -lwinspool -lshell32 -lole32 -loleaut32 -luuid -lcomdlg32 -ladvapi32 && cd .”
clang: error: unable to execute command: program not executable
clang: error: linker command failed with exit code 1 (use -v to see invocation)

CMake will not be able to correctly generate this project.
Call Stack (most recent call first):
CMakeLists.txt:39 (project)

– Configuring incomplete, errors occurred!
See also “C:/JStash/Projects/llvm/llvm_android_project/armeabi-v7a/NATIVE/CMakeFiles/CMakeOutput.log”.
See also “C:/JStash/Projects/llvm/llvm_android_project/armeabi-v7a/NATIVE/CMakeFiles/CMakeError.log”.

I’m kinda stumped as to what’s going on…

Although there didn’t seem to be any interest in my thread, I figured I should still update with my partial success. I’ve managed to get LLVM to build with Android NDK and have put together scripts to encapsulate the necessary commands. See https://github.com/Jman420/llvm_for_android for scripts and instructions.

For some reason the ‘*.exports’ files do not seem to get generated correctly. They end up with double quoted lines (such as ‘“LLVM {”’) which seem to be invalid format. Unfortunately, I haven’t been able to figure out where/what generates those files. They seem to be generated by the actual compiler since those files don’t exist until I execute ‘cmake --build . --target install’.