Help request about ReplaceNode in ISelDAGToDAG

Hello,

I would like to make some DAG transform in RISCV’s ISelDAGToDAG, but I find the ReplaceNode() requests

the new Node to be a MachineNode( usually created be curDAG->getMachineNode with the opcode set to RISCV::xxxx).

Can I just pass it a SDNode (with opcode set to anoher ISD::xxx, not RISCV::xxx) ? It seems LLVM will crash.

Because I want to change the opcode to ADD, can I avoid the complexity of selecting ADDW/ADDI/ADDIW for a machine node in different cases?

Ben Shi

There isn’t really enough information here to understand exactly what you need, but it almost certainly won’t require you to use ReplaceNode. ISelDAGToDAG is a place where you do instruction selection and instruction selection needs machine SD nodes by definition - you can’t have target independent nodes after selection. It really sounds like you are interested in writing a DAGCombine transformation. Of course, it is possible that you need a specific custom legalization which is a little different, but I will assume you need a DAG combine as your question sounds the most like a DAG combine.

The way you would accomplish this is to mark the input node as one for which you have a DAG combine. You accomplish this using setTargetDAGCombine(). Looks like RISCV has a handful of nodes for which they have combines. Then in RISCVTargetLowering::PerformDAGCombine(), you will add your node to the switch and dispatch to the function that performs your DAG combine. You can follow the example of ISD::AND in RISCVISelLowering.cpp which gets combined in performANDCombine().

I hope this helps, but I realize that I may be completely off in terms of what you are after.