How to enable cbe as a supported target?

Hi all,

I met an error when I run the llc command to transform a bitcode file to C code (source to source):
$ llc -march=c -o foo.c foo.ll

However, it said “llc: error: invalid target ‘c’.” I checked the ‘llc --version’ only to find that there is no c as target. The cpp was there, which makes calls against the LLVM C++ API. But that’s not what I want.

I configured my LLVM with default options, thus I supposed the ‘cbe’ should have been enabled as a supported target. Nevertheless, I tried to enable it explicitly:
$ …/configure --enable-targets=cbe

It occurred the error: “configure: error: Unrecognized target cbe

Any clue?

Thank you.

The C Backend was remove in 3.1
(http://llvm.org/releases/3.1/docs/ReleaseNotes.html):

"Major Changes and Removed Features
...
The C backend has been removed. It had numerous problems, to the point
of not being able to compile any nontrivial program."

Hi Arnold,

Thank you. I googled but missed the release notes.

Regards.

Someone else out there tried to bring cbe back. You can search the ML
archieve and reach them out.

Regards,
chenwj

Hi Arnold,

Hi Arnold,

Thank you. I googled but missed the release notes.

Regards.

   Someone else out there tried to bring cbe back. You can search the ML
archieve and reach them out.

That would be me.

Regards,
chenwj

I have posted some of my initial ideas on the list in August [1] and a set of patches against the trunk (at that time) in November [2].

I haven't had much time to spend on developing my patches further but I am planning to do so as soon as I get more time (which should be early next year)

Regards,
  Roel

[1] http://lists.cs.uiuc.edu/pipermail/llvmdev/2012-August/052858.html
[2] http://lists.cs.uiuc.edu/pipermail/llvmdev/2012-November/056089.html

Hi Roel,

Glad to know. I’ll give it a try later.

Thank you.