How to link code into EXE, or, am I doing this wrong?

Hi,

I’ve been writing a 80’s era-flavor of QuickBASIC compiler based on LLVM, and it’s come surprisingly far very quickly, LLVM is working great. GOSUB’s, GOTO’s, FIELD statements.

I’m using Visual Studio 2010.
Here’s my setup: I use LLVM to turn my AST into code, which, during debugging I then execute natively using “getPointerToFunction” and the runtime library it uses is a .lib in my VS2010 project that it calls into.
Then, to produce an EXE, I use addPassesToEmitFile to produce an .OBJ file for the native machine (x86 windows), which I then link with my runtime library using the Visual Studio linker:

link.exe test.bas.obj debug\BPRuntime.lib kernel32.lib /subsystem:console

Which produces a native executable that executes just fine under Windows.

All of that works great.

What I can’t figure out, even after LOTS of searching, is how to replace that with a LLVM linker or some other linker so that I can give out my compiler and people could use it to make EXE files. I found similar posts and questions but no good answers, and it seems that some of this (an LLVM linker) is in flux.

Or, am I going about this wrong? Should I be generating bitcode and making my runtime lib be bitcode and then link them using LLVM tools?

Thanks!

llvm currently has no way to generate PECOFF executables except to
rely on the system linker. Your current options are:

* Include the MinGW ld in your distribution.
* Always use the llvm jit (with or without compiling your runtime to bitcode).
* Wait for http://lld.llvm.org/ to become feature complete.

- Michael Spencer

If you build for an i386-*-win32 or x86_64-*-win32 target, you should also
be able to link LLVM object files with the MSVC link.exe.

-Joe