How to run vmjc created .bc files?

Hi,

What do I need to link with vmjc created .bc files to actually run the .bc file? I tried running with lli but only got:
LLVM ERROR: Program used external function 'StartJnjvmWithoutJIT' which could not be resolved!

Thanks,
Michael

Hi Michael,

Currently, you can run vmjc created .bc files by statically linking them with all the .o needed files. For that, you can use the llcj tool, which works more or less like GCC’s gcj tool.

Note that you also need to create the libvmjc.so file, which contains the standard library in native form. Do a make in the tools/vmjc/libvmjc directory. Once this is done, update the LD_LIBRARY_PATH shell variable to contain this file, and update PATH to contain the llvm tools and the vmkit tools. You will then be able to use llcj.

Let me know if that helped. I will write a more detailed howto on vmkit’s website in a few days.

Nicolas

Hi,

Thanks a lot for the help! I am getting some errors though:

I am on a 32 bit chroot on a x86_64 system. Thus llc guesses the wrong architecture from the module bitcode and spits out x86_64 assembly. I fixed this by adding "-march=x86" to the llc options in llcj.

gcc doesn't know what -lgc is. I'm guessing it is the garbage collection library. How can I get it or point gcc to the right library?

llcj -mem2reg MemberVar.class
/usr/bin/ld: cannot find -lgc
collect2: ld returned 1 exit status

If I have class files that depends on other class files, will llcj be able to find those and compile them into the executable as well?

Also, I have an addition to the Java standard library backported from Java 7, which is necessary for my project. JSR166: http://gee.cs.oswego.edu/dl/concurrency-interest/

Of course, I'm not sure JnJvm supports multiple cores, but this is more a proof of concept than anything.

Should I just insert the necessary classes into glibj.zip and recompile libvmjc.so?

Thanks,
Michael

nicolas geoffray wrote:

Hi Michael,

Hi,

Thanks a lot for the help! I am getting some errors though:

I am on a 32 bit chroot on a x86_64 system. Thus llc guesses the wrong architecture from the module bitcode and spits out x86_64 assembly. I fixed this by adding “-march=x86” to the llc options in llcj.

OK.

gcc doesn’t know what -lgc is. I’m guessing it is the garbage collection library. How can I get it or point gcc to the right library?

-lgc is for the boehmgc in case you configured vmkit to use it. Since you don’t need it (vmkit uses its own gc by default), you should change the tools/llcj/llcj.cpp file, remove the line with “-lgc” and recompile it. Yes, it’s that of a new feature yet :slight_smile:

llcj -mem2reg MemberVar.class
/usr/bin/ld: cannot find -lgc

collect2: ld returned 1 exit status

If I have class files that depends on other class files, will llcj be able to find those and compile them into the executable as well?

No, but you can create a big .jar file containing all the class files you need.

Also, I have an addition to the Java standard library backported from Java 7, which is necessary for my project. JSR166: http://gee.cs.oswego.edu/dl/concurrency-interest/

Add it to the big .jar file.

Of course, I’m not sure JnJvm supports multiple cores, but this is more a proof of concept than anything.

OK, if it has native functions, chances are jnjvm does not implement them.

Should I just insert the necessary classes into glibj.zip and recompile libvmjc.so?

You can do that, or just insert them to your .jar file.

Cheers,
Nicolas

Hi,

I've managed to compile it the class down to a native executable. However, the executable runs for a while then spits out:

terminate called without an active exception
Aborted

and dies.

The program never gets to the normal output.

Here is a stack trace from gdb:

#0 0xf3f6baa6 in raise () from /lib/libc.so.6
#1 0xf3f6d3a8 in abort () from /lib/libc.so.6
#2 0xf41918f8 in __gnu_cxx::__verbose_terminate_handler () from /usr/lib/libstdc++.so.6
#3 0xf418f7d5 in ?? () from /usr/lib/libstdc++.so.6
#4 0xf418f812 in std::terminate () from /usr/lib/libstdc++.so.6
#5 0xf418f94a in __cxa_throw () from /usr/lib/libstdc++.so.6
#6 0x0806d4d0 in jnjvm::JavaThread::throwPendingException ()
#7 0x0808c118 in jnjvm::JavaMethod::invokeJavaObjectStaticAP ()
#8 0x0808c2ba in jnjvm::JavaMethod::invokeJavaObjectStatic ()
#9 0x0806e3a0 in jnjvm::Jnjvm::loadAppClassLoader ()
#10 0x08072488 in jnjvm::Jnjvm::loadBootstrap ()
#11 0x080725e5 in jnjvm::Jnjvm::mainJavaStart ()
#12 0x080b2556 in mvm::thread::internalThreadStart ()
#13 0xf408dfc0 in start_thread () from /lib/libpthread.so.0
#14 0xf4011e7e in clone () from /lib/libc.so.6

The java file itself is very simple:

public class NumProcs {

/**
     * Displays the number of processors available in the Java Virtual Machine
     */
    public static void main(String[] args) {
        Runtime runtime = Runtime.getRuntime();

int nrOfProcessors = runtime.availableProcessors();

System.out.println("Number of processors available to the Java Virtual Machine: " + nrOfProcessors);
    }
}

I just updated to the latest revision in svn.

Michael

nicolas geoffray wrote:

I am using GNU classpath 0.97.2 as provided by Ubuntu.

Michael

Michael Wu wrote:

Hi Michael,

Sorry for the long delay.

Could you update vmkit? I have made some changes and tried your example, and it worked fine.

Cheers,
Nicolas