How to unscribe from all the emails

I keep getting a ton of emails from llvm-dev. None of them are related to my original post. Is it possible to unscribe from all of these emails?

Hi Rail,

You can unsubscribe here: http://lists.llvm.org/cgi-bin/mailman/listinfo/llvm-dev

Note that the list is “subscriber only”, which means that future email you will send to the list will have to be approved manually by a moderator. Also you’ll receive answer to your questions as long as people use “reply-all”.

You can’t (AFAIK) just subscribe to individual threads.

Best,

You can adjust your settings to receive a summary once a day.

Note that if you do this, then it becomes a lot harder to reply to the list. Replies that have ‘Re: LLVM-dev digest’ in the title are likely to be ignored by a lot of people, because they have no useful information about what they’re actually replying to. Replies that copy the subject from the relevant thread do a bit better, but they’ll lose the thread headers, so some mail clients won’t put them in the correct context and people who have flagged certain threads won’t see them. Digest mode is really only recommended for people who do not want to participate in discussions on the list.

David

That's strange. i'm subscribed to C++ FAQ (faq-discussion@isocpp.org,
which I've subscribed to through google groups) and I don't get a lot of
unrelated emails.

I’m not sure what is strange. The concept of a mailing list is that you subscribe to receive all the discussions from a group of people on a given topic. This mailing list is about LLVM development and if you subscribe you’ll receive all discussions on this topic.
The list you are mentioning had 55 threads over two years, this is low traffic. In comparison LLVM is a very active project and it receive a few new threads per day.

Best,

Mehdi

I see. It would be nice though to configure the settings (it it is even
possible) so that I could get emails from the topics I'm subscribe to. I
don't mind getting all the emails and attempt to answer some of the topics
but sometimes I just get too busy and can't answer some of them. In this
case I could just tweak my settings and get less of emails. Once the
workload goes down, I can re-enable "getting of all the emails" setting.

That's not how mailing lists work. The normal approach is to just filter
them into a separate folder based on the normal header tags and check
for the topics you are interested in.

Joerg

That's not how mailing lists work. The normal approach is to just filter
them into a separate folder based on the normal header tags and check
for the topics you are interested in.

Joerg

I did not know that. Joerg, thanks for showing me the light :). Just one
question: how are normal header tags different from header tags?

Thanks

Well, for this purpose you can effectively filter on fields like List-Id.
That works even with a BCC to the list. Always filtering based on the To
address would mean CCs to your own address would still end up in your
normal inbox.

Joerg

As the list is run by mailman, you can subscribe but set the “nomail” flag. Then the list will accept posts from you, but won’t send you posts.

This tends to imply one of the following:

• you never answer anyone else’s questions, and hope they CC you to replies to yours
  • you read posts via the web interface, not via mail
  • you read via mail but sometimes post with another “From:” address

I’m not sure if this setting is exposed to normal users, but an admin can do it. I usually do it (on lists I admin) when I get a “post from a non-member” rejection notification and I recognize that the message is actually from a subscriber, but a different email.