Inlined functions

Hello, All,

This is my first post to this mailing list.

I am currently working on adding debug information generation to the front end of a compiler that uses LLVM. The execution model for the compiled programs is that there are no function calls, and no stack - instead, all called functions are inlined (this is possible as the source language does not permit recursion). However, the inlining is done by the F/E, so that LLVM sees only a single ‘main’ function.

I can see no way of representing this inlining in the metadata being generated by the F/E: the DIBuilder class provides no methods for inlined functions, and the ‘Source Level Debugging with LLVM’ document has very information concerning inlining; e.g. there is this information

“Here !12 is metadata providing location information. It has four fields: line number, column number, scope, and original scope. The original scope represents inline location if this instruction is inlined inside a caller, and is null otherwise. In this example, scope is encoded by !4, a subprogram descriptor. This way the location information attached to the intrinsics indicates that the variable X is declared at line number 2 at a function level scope in function foo.”

in the ‘Object lifetimes and scoping’ section, but little else.

I do not see how to represent the inlining of complete functions in the metadata such that the generated DWARF debug information will contain DIEs with the DW_AT_inline attribute, abstract instances and concrete inlined instances, etc., which will be required to allow a debugger to re-construct a notional function call-chain for any given point in the code.

Does anyone know how to do this?

Regards,

Richard Stuckey

One way to get into this might be to look at the result of running
Clang's IR through LLVM's inliner - and look at the resulting IR with
the debug info nodes attached, replicating that sort of output should
be a good start.

- David