Instrumentation with liblto and gold

Hi,

I need advice in instrumenting programs using liblto and gold plugin.
Specifically, I added my pass in tools/lto/LTOCodeGenerator.cpp.
My pass inserts functions (myLoad and myStore) for some load and store instructions.
The functions exist in a library file.

I found that the approach works for the example in the link:
http://llvm.org/docs/GoldPlugin.html
$ llvm-gcc -flto a.c -c -o a.o
$ ar q a.a a.o
$ llvm-gcc b.c -c -o b.o
$ llvm-gcc -use-gold-plugin a.a b.o -L<path_to_my_lib> -l<my_lib> -o main

I also found that I can compile large programs (apache and mysql) with gold plugin.
Here is the command:
$ export CC=“llvm-gcc -use-gold-plugin”; export CXX=“llvm-g++ -use-gold-plugin”; export RANLIB=/bin/true; export CFLAGS="-O4";
$ ./configure
$ make
$ make install

However, I cannot compile large programs with modified liblto and gold plugin.
That is because I have to specify the path to my library containing myLoad and myStore in configure and makefile.

Is there any fancy way to handle this problem?

Thanks in advance.

Sangmin

Hi,

I need advice in instrumenting programs using liblto and gold plugin.
Specifically, I added my pass in tools/lto/LTOCodeGenerator.cpp.
My pass inserts functions (myLoad and myStore) for some load and store instructions.
The functions exist in a library file.

I found that the approach works for the example in the link:
http://llvm.org/docs/GoldPlugin.html
$ llvm-gcc -flto a.c -c -o a.o
$ ar q a.a a.o
$ llvm-gcc b.c -c -o b.o
$ llvm-gcc -use-gold-plugin a.a b.o -L<path_to_my_lib> -l<my_lib> -o main

I also found that I can compile large programs (apache and mysql) with gold plugin.
Here is the command:
$ export CC="llvm-gcc -use-gold-plugin"; export CXX="llvm-g++ -use-gold-plugin"; export RANLIB=/bin/true; export CFLAGS="-O4";
$ ./configure
$ make
$ make install

However, I cannot compile large programs with modified liblto and gold plugin.
That is because I have to specify the path to my library containing myLoad and myStore in configure and makefile.

Is there any fancy way to handle this problem?

The configure scripts might recognize the LIBS and LDFLAGS variables and add them to the linker options as it does for CFLAGS above.

-- John T.

Hi John,

Thank you for your advice.
LIBS and LDFLAGS work for the configure script,
but they gave errors in the make stage for apache and mysql.

I used either of the following ones with other flags:

• export LIBS="-L/home/sangmin/Dropbox/Falcon/bin/ -ldummy"
  • export LDFLAGS="-L/home/sangmin/Dropbox/Falcon/bin/ -ldummy"

Here are the error messages:

Compile error (apache):
make[3]: Entering directory /home/sangmin/Concurrency/apache/srclib/apr' /bin/bash /home/sangmin/Concurrency/apache/srclib/apr/libtool --silent --mode=link llvm-gcc -use-gold-plugin -pthread -O4 -DHAVE_CONFIG_H -DLINUX=2 -D_REENTRANT -D_GNU_SOURCE -I./include -I../include -version-info 9:5:9 -L/home/sangmin/Dropbox/Falcon/bin/ -ldummy -o [libapr-0.la](http://libapr-0.la) -rpath /home/sangmin/Concurrency/apache-25520-llvm//lib strings/apr_cpystrn.lo strings/apr_fnmatch.lo strings/apr_snprintf.lo <skip> collect2: ld terminated with signal 6 [Aborted] ld: /home/sangmin/Dropbox/Falcon/src/llvm-2.7/include/llvm/Support/Casting.h:200: typename llvm::cast_retty<To, From>::ret_type llvm::cast(const Y&) [with X = llvm::Instruction, Y = llvm::Value*]: Assertion isa(Val) && “cast() argument of incompatible type!”’ failed.
Stack dump:
0. Running pass ‘Function Pass Manager’ on module ‘ld-temp.o’.

1. Running pass ‘Function pass’ on function ‘@apr_proc_other_child_refresh_all

Compile error (mysql):
ake[2]: Entering directory /home/sangmin/Concurrency/mysql/libmysql' /bin/bash ../libtool --mode=link llvm-gcc -use-gold-plugin -O3 -DDBUG_OFF -O4 -L/home/sangmin/Dropbox/Falcon/bin/ -ldummy -rdynamic -o conf_to_src conf_to_src.o -lz -lcrypt -lnsl -lm llvm-gcc -use-gold-plugin -O3 -DDBUG_OFF -O4 -rdynamic -o conf_to_src conf_to_src.o -L/home/sangmin/Dropbox/Falcon/bin/ -ldummy -lz -lcrypt -lnsl -lm collect2: ld terminated with signal 6 [Aborted] ld: /home/sangmin/Dropbox/Falcon/src/llvm-2.7/include/llvm/Support/Casting.h:200: typename llvm::cast_retty<To, From>::ret_type llvm::cast(const Y&) [with X = llvm::Instruction, Y = llvm::Value*]: Assertion isa(Val) && “cast() argument of incompatible type!”’ failed.
Stack dump:
0. Running pass ‘Function Pass Manager’ on module ‘ld-temp.o’.

1. Running pass ‘Function pass’ on function ‘@print_arrays_for

Any thoughts?

Thanks,
Sangmin

Hi John,

Thank you for your advice.
LIBS and LDFLAGS work for the configure script,
but they gave errors in the make stage for apache and mysql.

I used either of the following ones with other flags:

• export LIBS="-L/home/sangmin/Dropbox/Falcon/bin/ -ldummy"
  • export LDFLAGS="-L/home/sangmin/Dropbox/Falcon/bin/ -ldummy"

Here are the error messages:

Compile error (apache):
make[3]: Entering directory /home/sangmin/Concurrency/apache/srclib/apr' /bin/bash /home/sangmin/Concurrency/apache/srclib/apr/libtool --silent --mode=link llvm-gcc -use-gold-plugin -pthread -O4 -DHAVE_CONFIG_H -DLINUX=2 -D_REENTRANT -D_GNU_SOURCE -I./include -I../include -version-info 9:5:9 -L/home/sangmin/Dropbox/Falcon/bin/ -ldummy -o [libapr-0.la](http://libapr-0.la) -rpath /home/sangmin/Concurrency/apache-25520-llvm//lib strings/apr_cpystrn.lo strings/apr_fnmatch.lo strings/apr_snprintf.lo <skip> collect2: ld terminated with signal 6 [Aborted] ld: /home/sangmin/Dropbox/Falcon/src/llvm-2.7/include/llvm/Support/Casting.h:200: typename llvm::cast_retty<To, From>::ret_type llvm::cast(const Y&) [with X = llvm::Instruction, Y = llvm::Value*]: Assertion isa(Val) && “cast() argument of incompatible type!”’ failed.

It looks like there is something wrong with your instrumentation pass. You’ll need to run the debugger on the linker. I think you can get llvm-gcc to dump out the command line it uses for linking with some option; checks the gcc docs.

– John T.