Is it possible to disable the triple that LLVM 15 added to the libc++{abi} library path?

In LLVM 14 (and earlier) libc++.so, libc++abi.so, and friends all land in /installation-path/lib/.

In LLVM 15+ they land in /installation-path/lib/x86_64-unknown-linux-gnu/ (for example).

But clang’s only RUNPATH entry is for $ORIGIN/../lib. So when building a libcxx-dependent clang (-DLLVM_ENABLE_LIBCXX=ON) on a system where libcxx is not already installed, the resulting clang binary fails to find libc++.so.

1. Is there an option to disable the triple in the path? I found LIBCXX_INSTALL_LIBRARY_DIR but in the code it appears to always have LLVM_DEFAULT_TARGET_TRIPLE appended.
  2. Is it expected that clang should not depend on the libc++.so in its install directory and only use the newly built libc++.so if it’s installed as a system default?

Thank you for any help understanding this.

LLVM builds will, by default, use the system libraries unless you force it not to. If you do force it to use a non-system shared library, it’s your responsibility to ensure LLVM binaries can find it. This applies to all libraries, not just libc++. If you managed to rig a configuration where installed LLVM binaries somehow depend on a just-built libc++, that’s basically getting lucky.

My team does actually do builds with a non-system libc++, but we just use a pre-built binary, and copy it to the install directory.

Thank you for the clarification.

If you managed to rig a configuration where installed LLVM binaries somehow depend on a just-built libc++, that’s basically getting lucky.

I understand your overall point, but in LLVM 14 and earlier I believe the only “rigging” required is:

• A machine where libc++ is not already installed
  • -DCMAKE_INSTALL_PREFIX=<somewhere>

That’s it. As I mentioned, clang’s RUNPATH defaults to [$ORIGIN/../lib], and libc++ was placed directly in <somewhere>/lib for releases < 15. So while it may have been lucky, the luck appeared intentional to me (“prefer the libraries in the installation directory”). :slight_smile:

Anyway, I appreciate you clearing that up. It’s good to learn that behavior was not intentional.

I will either symlink/move the libraries around or adjust RUNPATH as needed for my case.

Ran into similar issues, though I have configured to use $ORIGIN/…/$LIB in mine so lib and lib64 are also in play, my install system I just added symbolic links.

I run something effectively like this as part of my source install system before building llvm, libc++, clang etc

mkdir -p       /installation-path/lib  /installation-path/lib64
ln -s ../lib   /installation-path/lib/i686-unknown-linux-gnu
ln -s ../lib   /installation-path/lib64/i686-unknown-linux-gnu
ln -s ../lib64 /installation-path/lib/x86_64-unknown-linux-gnu
ln -s ../lib64 /installation-path/lib64/x86_64-unknown-linux-gnu