issues registering passes in osx 10.8

Hi everyone,

This is Ashwin. I have a mac running osx 10.8. I am new to LLVM and have the version 3.1 installed. I am trying to get some LLVM transform passes running on my machine. After having compiled the LLVM source without making changes to the configuration files I am able to run the LLVM gcc and clang. But I am having some trouble using the passes. I tried loading the hello pass inside the transform directory of the LLVM object tree.

When I do an opt -load LLVMhello.dylib -help I dont see the registered pass listed. Further when I load the option I get an undefined symbol error from the linker. This is the command i issue and the output i get.

bash-3.2$ opt -load LLVMHello.dylib < hello.bc > /dev/null

Error opening ‘LLVMHello.dylib’: dlopen(LLVMHello.dylib, 9): Symbol not found: __ZN4llvm12FunctionPass14doFinalization$
| Referenced from: /usr/local/bin/…/lib/LLVMHello.dylib
| Expected in: flat namespace
| in /usr/local/bin/…/lib/LLVMHello.dylib
| -load request ignored.

I appreciate your help. Please help me fix it!

regards,
Ashwin.

It turns out that, on OS X, using the installed tool makes it unusable for plugins. If you edit this line of Makefile.rules: ProgInstall = $(INSTALL) $(Install.StripFlag) -m 0755 so that it looks like this: ProgInstall = $(INSTALL) -m 0755 it should work after installing.

Thank you. The edit made no difference. I did a clean install and the same error is reported.

Any other suggestions?

regards,
Ashwin

Have you tried to pass --enable-shared to configure? It works for me.

$ opt -load /usr/local/lib/LLVMHello.dylib -help | grep hello
    -hello - Hello World Pass
    -hello2 - Hello World Pass (with getAnalysisUsage implemented)

- xi

Thank you all..It worked!

regards,
Ashwin