Language linkage of function type

I am wondering why clang::FunctionType, unlike clang::FunctionDecl, does not offer a function to determine its clang::LanguageLinkage.

I am asking because in the C++ code

extern "C" { static void f(); }

the FunctionDecl representing f has isExternC() return false (as the name of function f has internal, not C language linkage), but the function's type has C language linkage and I need to know about that in a plugin.

Stephan

I think it is just because it is not implemented yet. If I remember
correctly, we only track language linkage of decls.

Cheers,
Rafael

Right.

It would also break some amount of code if we started supporting this. For instance, the C++ standard requires that the standard library qsort function is overloaded to take extern “C” and extern “C++” function pointers, for instance, but glibc doesn’t do so, and neither libstdc++ nor libc++ fixes this, so C++ code using qsort would likely be broken by such a change. The same thing probably happens in various other guises for other APIs that take function pointers.

There’s a possibility that we might be able to introduce the rule in a more backwards-compatible fashion through a tweak to the rules:

http://www.open-std.org/jtc1/sc22/wg21/docs/cwg_closed.html#1555

… but I’m not sure if EWG has looked at this issue yet.

The upshot of all this is that C++ implementations/configurations that don’t have different calling conventions for C and C++ tend to not implement this rule at all today (because implementing it provides basically no value to their users and breaks code).

[...]

The upshot of all this is that C++ implementations/configurations that
don't have different calling conventions for C and C++ tend to not
implement this rule at all today (because implementing it provides
basically no value to their users and breaks code).

Thanks for the detailed reply. (Just for the record, my use-case was to have a plugin warn about certain implicit conversions from bool to other integral types, yet do not warn when that happens for an argument to a C function---where Boolean values are often represented by int.)

Stephan