linking with libclang for ios

Hi.

I was able to cross-compile llvm/clang for i386 and i’m trying to use it in my ios app.
Also i was able to add headers and static libs (both libLLVM*.a and libclang*.a) and compile/link the project with no errors.

But when trying to run simple app i’m getting error:

Detected an attempt to call a symbol in system libraries that is not present on the iPhone:

pthread_mutexattr_destroy$UNIX2003 called from function _ZN4llvm3sys9MutexImplC2Eb in image LibClangUsageDemo3.

What can i do in order to fix it?

Is it llvm/clang issue or i’m doing smth wrong?

Regards, Anton.

I’ve found Mutex.cpp file in llvm sources and it seems it’s not the first mutex-related call in constructor.
This makes me think it’s really absent method in system libs:

// Construct a Mutex using pthread calls

MutexImpl::MutexImpl( bool recursive)

: data_(0)

{

// Declare the pthread_mutex data structures

pthread_mutex_t* mutex =

static_cast<pthread_mutex_t*>(malloc(sizeof(pthread_mutex_t)));

pthread_mutexattr_t attr;

// Initialize the mutex attributes

int errorcode = pthread_mutexattr_init(&attr);

assert(errorcode == 0); (void)errorcode;

// Initialize the mutex as a recursive mutex, if requested, or normal

// otherwise.

int kind = ( recursive ? PTHREAD_MUTEX_RECURSIVE : PTHREAD_MUTEX_NORMAL );

errorcode = pthread_mutexattr_settype(&attr, kind);

assert(errorcode == 0);

#if !defined(FreeBSD) && !defined(OpenBSD) && !defined(NetBSD) && \

!defined(DragonFly) && !defined(Bitrig)

// Make it a process local mutex

errorcode = pthread_mutexattr_setpshared(&attr, PTHREAD_PROCESS_PRIVATE);

assert(errorcode == 0);

#endif

// Initialize the mutex

errorcode = pthread_mutex_init(mutex, &attr);

assert(errorcode == 0);

// Destroy the attributes

errorcode = pthread_mutexattr_destroy(&attr); // fails here

assert(errorcode == 0);

// Assign the data member
data_ = mutex;

}

I’ve marked where it fails.How can that be that previous mutex-related methods success and this one fails?
What can i do to fix it?

Regards, Anton.

Did you try building with LLVM_ENABLE_THREADS off?

Also consider trying ToT to get the latest fixes.

Alp.

---------- Переадресованное сообщение ----------
От: “Anton Smirnov” <dev@antonsmirnov.name>
Дата: 06 Июл 2014 г. 12:58
Тема: Re: [cfe-dev] linking with libclang for ios
Кому: “Alp Toker” <alp@nuanti.com>
Копия:

No, I did not actually. Is it related to mutex somehow? Will this make llvm/clang slower btw? I’ve googled a bit and found a lot of similar reports for older xcode/ios versions. My idea is to recompile the lib with ios min version 6 instead of 5.

I’ve just tried to rebuild libclang.a with -miphoneos-version-min=7.0 - no luck.
Also i’ve removed --enable-optimized --disable-assertions configure flags and it confirmed error line (Mutex.cpp):

// Destroy the attributes
errorcode = pthread_mutexattr_destroy(&attr);

Should setting LLVM_ENABLE_THREADS to “off” help?

I’ve started to edit Mutex.cpp and RWMutex.cpp and found it’s not used at all if “LLVM_ENABLE_THREADS” was off during config.
So it seems that my issues was solved with it. Anyway i’m having another issue:

2014-07-07 12:19:54.090 LibClangUsage7Demo[64275:60b] started

Detected an attempt to call a symbol in system libraries that is not present on the iPhone:

stat$INODE64 called from function _ZN4llvm3sys2fs6statusERKNS_5TwineERNS1_11file_statusE in image LibClangUsage7Demo.

Is stat missing in ios simulator? It seems that i will have to fix such issues one-by-one…

Is there any ios-friendly version of llvm/clang? Is it ios simulator limitations (systems calls to absent systems methods)?

Thanks,
Anton.

I've started to edit Mutex.cpp and RWMutex.cpp and found it's not used at all if "LLVM_ENABLE_THREADS" was off during config.
So it seems that my issues was solved with it.

Great

Anyway i'm having another issue:

*2014-07-07 12:19:54.090 LibClangUsage7Demo[64275:60b] started*

*Detected an attempt to call a symbol in system libraries that is not present on the iPhone:*

*stat$INODE64 called from function _ZN4llvm3sys2fs6statusERKNS_5TwineERNS1_11file_statusE in image LibClangUsage7Demo.*

Is stat missing in ios simulator? It seems that i will have to fix such issues one-by-one..

Is there any ios-friendly version of llvm/clang? Is it ios simulator limitations (systems calls to absent systems methods)?

The LLVM/clang codebase is meant to be portable..

So, the OS filesystem symbols are available but not implemented on your platform:

That's good news because it means there's a good chance you can get your application working without porting LLVM's System module.

As I recall, you wanted to perform an in-memory compilation and produce LLVM IR, and I suggested using the clang-interpreter demo as a starting point.

Let's take that a little further..

You'll need to modify the clang-interpreter sample so it loads C source code for the main file from memory instead of trying to read from the filesystem which apparently doesn't existing on your platform. The code you use shouldn't include any headers or that'll incur filesystem access.

Meanwhile I've added non-JIT interpreter support in clang r212083, and if that still doesn't work you can modify the sample to print IR to check if things work.

With some luck it won't attempt to read from the filesystem at all after that, so won't hit the missing OS features.

If there are more errors, we'll need to refine the approach a little and eliminate other kinds of file accesses but that should be the general angle of attack.

It sounds like a fun project, keep the list posted :slight_smile:

Alp.

Hi, Alp.

Hi, Alp.

2014-07-07 12:52 GMT+06:00 Alp Toker <alp@nuanti.com <mailto:alp@nuanti.com>>:

I've started to edit Mutex.cpp and RWMutex.cpp and found it's
        not used at all if "LLVM_ENABLE_THREADS" was off during config.
        So it seems that my issues was solved with it.

Great

Thanks for pointing me right direction :wink:

Anyway i'm having another issue:

*2014-07-07 12:19:54.090 LibClangUsage7Demo[64275:60b] started*

*Detected an attempt to call a symbol in system libraries that
        is not present on the iPhone:*

*stat$INODE64 called from function
        _ZN4llvm3sys2fs6statusERKNS_5TwineERNS1_11file_statusE in
        image LibClangUsage7Demo.*

Is stat missing in ios simulator? It seems that i will have to
        fix such issues one-by-one..

Is there any ios-friendly version of llvm/clang? Is it ios
        simulator limitations (systems calls to absent systems methods)?

The LLVM/clang codebase is meant to be portable..

So, the OS filesystem symbols are available but not implemented on
    your platform:

What does it mean "available but not implemented"? I'm not sure i understand it as i have no compile/link errors, runtime errors only.
Does it mean it has required functions declarations in headers while compiling, symbols while linking but absent for some reason in runtime?
How can that be? i expect to have linker errors if required system calls are absent.

I'm using xcode toolchain and sysroot to cross-compile for ios so i expect it to have valid and actual headers and compiled systems libs.

What can i do to fix stat missing in llvm::sys::status(..) ? Any flags or change invocation to any existing system method?

That's good news because it means there's a good chance you can
    get your application working without porting LLVM's System module.

I'm afraid i will discover a lot of places with runtime errors (due to missing system libs) ;(
Does anybody know any other expected missing/not implemented calls for ios?

This is a standard iOS platform? Try configuring with -mios-simulator-version-min=7.1

As I recall, you wanted to perform an in-memory compilation and
    produce LLVM IR, and I suggested using the clang-interpreter demo
    as a starting point.

At that point i'm just trying to have actual llvm/clang working via Clang-C API. This means i don't have to have any major modifications, just cross-compile with right configure params.

Probably the next step will be look into Cling modifications for LLVM/Clang and making it working.

Curious, what do you need the modifications for?

(Unless it's synced up to LLVM SVN very recently it'll be missing the fixes from this discussion.)

Let's take that a little further..

You'll need to modify the clang-interpreter sample so it loads C
    source code for the main file from memory instead of trying to
    read from the filesystem which apparently doesn't existing on your
    platform. The code you use shouldn't include any headers or
    that'll incur filesystem access.

Actually i can access files in ios app sandbox so i expect LLVM/Clang working for files in it.

Okay, should work fine if you need file access. Try the configure switch I suggested.

Meanwhile I've added non-JIT interpreter support in clang r212083,
    and if that still doesn't work you can modify the sample to print
    IR to check if things work.

Great! How i can i try it? Any example to interpret "hello-world"?

Sure, just run:

./clang-interpreter hello.cpp

It mostly accepts the same arguments as normal clang.

Alp.

Hey.

I was said that stat is not supported on iOS:
https://devforums.apple.com/message/1000186#1000186

Any suggestion for replacement/walk-around?

I was said that `stat` is not supported on iOS:
https://devforums.apple.com/message/1000186#1000186

Any suggestion for replacement/walk-around?

OK, that was my initial assumption. clang-interpreter is still the best sample to get working..

I've run a dtrace and unfortunately there are lots of stats, with most looking redundant or even silly ("<stdin>"). Each needs to be investigated individually (making stat() a no-op doesn't help) so this is some work -- best you can do is file a PR.

If you really want to get it working locally I think the best you can do is set a breakpoint and try to hack away the callers. But for upstream we're going to need to fix this properly and it's not really on the roadmap right now.

Alp.

Hi.

Anyone?