lit conditional compilation/checking?

How can I platform-conditionally compile/check sections of code with lit? Can I rely on preprocessor defines like _WIN32?

Specifically, I’m adding new tests to existing lit tests, but the new tests should only be compiled and run on Windows.

Clang should be setting up the usual preprocessor defines based on the target. So, you can bracket chunks of C/C++ source in a lit test with #if to guard target-dependent stuff. Charles Li has been updating a bunch of tests to have sections guarded by tests on the value of __cplusplus, for example (e.g. see r266239).

If you’re asking about conditionally executing RUN lines, I don’t think there’s a way to do that; you’d need to split the new stuff into its own file and use REQUIRES to set the correct conditions.

–paulr

If the new tests should not be run together with the old tests just consider creating a new file. In general mixing tests is of course possible:

• Specify a target triple in the RUN: line to force output for a specific system, this works regardless of your host system. (However make sure that the target you specify is actually available by placing the test in a directory with lit.local.cfg set apropriately).
  • You can specify multiple check-prefixes with FileCheck. A typical pattern would be:

RUN: … flags for variant1 | FileCheck %s --check-prefix=CHECK --check-prefix=VARIANT1
RUN: … flags for variant2 | FileCheck %s --check-prefix=CHECK --check-prefix=VARIANT2

CHECK: check this for all variants
VARIANT1: …
VARIANT2: …

In general the best way to learn how to write good tests is spending some time looking into the existing ones.

• Matthias

Clang should be setting up the usual preprocessor defines based on the target.

placeholder text
It doesn’t seem like that works as I’d expect: an #if defined(_WIN32) didn’t seem to fire on my local Windows machine. What #defines can I use?

If the new tests should not be run together with the old tests just consider creating a new file. In general mixing tests is of course possible:

Maybe I should just create a new file. That said, I’d still like to know how to mix tests, for future reference.

• Specify a target triple in the RUN: line to force output for a specific system, this works regardless of your host system. (However make sure that the target you specify is actually available by placing the test in a directory with lit.local.cfg set apropriately).
  • You can specify multiple check-prefixes with FileCheck. A typical pattern would be:

RUN: … flags for variant1 | FileCheck %s --check-prefix=CHECK --check-prefix=VARIANT1
RUN: … flags for variant2 | FileCheck %s --check-prefix=CHECK --check-prefix=VARIANT2

CHECK: check this for all variants
VARIANT1: …
VARIANT2: …

It looks like FileCheck is mainly for assembly/IR level. I’m trying to test some static-analyzer level things, and I need to skip some test functions.

In general the best way to learn how to write good tests is spending some time looking into the existing ones.

Slowly, I will. I’m still quite new to the LLVM testing infrastructure. Sorry!

Clang should be setting up the usual preprocessor defines based on
    the target.

placeholder text
It doesn't seem like that works as I'd expect: an #if defined(_WIN32)
didn't seem to fire on my local Windows machine. What #defines can I use?

What did you set the target to in the test? Clang is a cross compiler...

Jon

It doesn’t seem like that works as I’d expect: an #if defined(_WIN32) didn’t seem to fire on my local Windows machine. What #defines can I use?

Nevermind, I’m an idiot. It’s working fine :persevere: