LLDB bot health

Inspired by people recently asking about or filing bugs for test fails
that happen in their own environments, I thought I might do the same.
"But wait," I thought, "maybe some bots are already finding these."

Which led me to discover:

lldb-amd64-ninja-netbsd8 green
lldb-windows7-android test failures
lldb-x64-windows-ninja test failures
lldb-x86-windows-msvc2015 out of disk space
lldb-x86_64-darwin-13.4 cmake errors
lldb-x86_64-ubuntu-14.04-android cmake errors
lldb-x86_64-ubuntu-14.04-buildserver green
lldb-x86_64-ubuntu-14.04-cmake test failures

So, the bots aren't really all that healthy, and three of them have
some sort of apparent configuration issue.

Doesn't seem worth my while to report my personal failure list in
this kind of environment. Just sayin'.
--paulr

Thanks for your feedback. As one of the people who encouraged users to
report failures they see locally, I would like to point out I wasn't
really aware of the existence of many of these bots.
I'm aware there's a subset of people watching the MacOS bots, which
are now in a decent state (as part of their day job).
(I personally never heard of the darwin-13.4 bot but if overlaps with
what the lldb greendragon bots are testing, it could be as well
dismissed, i.e. http://lab.llvm.org:8080/green/view/LLDB/)

I will personally watch these bots more closely, I cc:ed some of the
people involved to see if we can make the situation better.
Have you considered debugging some of the issues you're seeing
locally? I'm pretty sure some help would be appreciated.

Thanks Davide,

I think several of these bots have not been maintained for a while. One thing we could do is try to ping the owners and see if it's possible to update the bots or if they're no longer useful, then remove them.

Thanks,
-Stella

I agree. I don't know who owns these bots, is there an easy way to
find? (or just cc: them to these e-mail).
We can then ask Galina to just remove the bots if nobody maintains them.

Thanks,

I own this one: lldb-x86-windows-msvc2015

It can be removed, especially now that Stella’s is strictly better than mine was even when it was working.

There will probably be an effort on our side to get the Linux bots up and running again “soon”, but I don’t have an exact timeline right now.

If you look at the bot online, there's usually an admin listed. For example:

http://lab.llvm.org:8011/buildslaves

I've CC'd the admins of the bots from Paul's list that are failing.

Thanks,
-Stella

+Pavel Labath

Pavel and Me was owning the following bots:

lldb-x86_64-ubuntu-14.04-buildserver: Builds lldb-server for various andoird architectures (doesn’t run tests)
lldb-x86_64-ubuntu-14.04-cmake : Runs lldb tests with 6 different compilers on Linux (clang-3.5, gcc-4.9.4, clang HEAD) * (i386, x86_64)
lldb-x86_64-darwin-13.4 : Building lldb on darwin using cmake+ninja and running remote debugging tests for android (AFAIK devices have been removed since)
lldb-windows7-android : Building lldb for windows using cmake+ninja and running remote debugging tests for android (using an i386 andoird emulator)
lldb-x86_64-ubuntu-14.04-android : Building lldb for linu and running remote debugging tests for android (AFAIK devices have been removed since)

My opinion is that we should leave lldb-x86_64-ubuntu-14.04-buildserver on as it provides at least build coverage for android and it is very stable and easy to fix when it breaks. If people have interest maintaining Linux support (I hope they do) then having lldb-x86_64-ubuntu-14.04-cmake on and green could be useful and I can help out with general bot maintenance but won’t have bandwidth to actually look into test failures. For the rest of the bots I would propose to just turn them on unless somebody from Google/Android steps forward to maintain them as they occasionally require physical access and at the moment they are located in a lab in the Google MTV office. Will send an e-mail to a few interested parties to check if there is any takers.

Cheers,
Tamas

I am going to speak to Stephen Hines about the fate of these bots next week. I'll post an update here after that. At the moment, it seems likely that there will be some kind of a maintained linux bot soon, and it seems _un_likely that there will be people with enough spare time to maintain the android test bots *in their present form*.

Sorry for all the confusion, and please do report when things are not working for you,
pl