LLVM 3.2: conflict with Ubuntu 12.04's version 3.0 of LLVM

Hi,

I am working on a Qt project which relies on various plugins, one of which being an LLVM plugin which I build from the LLVM 3.2 source code. Everything works fine on Windows and OS X, but not on Ubuntu 12.04.

Basically, my application runs fine, but when I close it I get a "Segmentation fault (core dumped)". Debugging my application, I found out that, upon shutting down, my application tries to call Ubuntu's version of LLVM (see below for the debug trace). To convince myself that it was really the case, I sudo renamed Ubuntu's LLVM library and rerun my application. As expected, everything worked fine (i.e. no segmentation fault).

Now, it's clearly not an issue with LLVM itself, but a google search didn't yield anything useful, so I was hoping that someone else might have come across this issue before and, more importantly, would have found a solution for it...

Cheers, Alan.

Alan Garny <agarny@hellix.com> writes:

Basically, my application runs fine, but when I close it I get a
"Segmentation fault (core dumped)". Debugging my application, I found
out that, upon shutting down, my application tries to call Ubuntu's
version of LLVM (see below for the debug trace). To convince myself
that it was really the case, I sudo renamed Ubuntu's LLVM library and
rerun my application. As expected, everything worked fine (i.e. no
segmentation fault).

Now, it's clearly not an issue with LLVM itself, but a google search
didn't yield anything useful, so I was hoping that someone else might
have come across this issue before and, more importantly, would have
found a solution for it...

Well, two simple things you can try: either uninstall Ubuntu's LLVM 3.0,
or set LD_LIBRARY_PATH (and PATH, if the plugin also uses the LLVM
command tools.)

Thanks Óscar. Your first suggestion is not an option for me (I can't and wouldn't want to tell my users what to do with their Ubuntu box), but LD_LIBRARY_PATH (or, better for me, RPATH) might do the trick. I will give it a try tomorrow...

Alan