LLVM 3.3.1 Release Plans

Hi,

The number of stable patches has slowed down in the last few weeks, and
we are approaching the halfway point between 3.3 and 3.4, so I think now
is a good time to start planning for the 3.3.1 release. Here is the
tentative schedule:

September 3: 3.3.1-rc1
  - This won't actually be a 'real' Release Candidate. The purpose of
    rc1 will be to update and test the release scripts and build system
    to make sure they work properly with dot releases. I will still
    accept stable patches until rc2

September 10: 3.3.1-rc2
  - The first 'real' release candidate. Qualification testing will
    begin and only patches that fix regressions since 3.3 will be
    accepted.

September 17: 3.3.1 or 3.3.1-rc3
  - If there are no changes since -rc2, then it will become the 3.3.1 release,
    otherwise there will be a 3.3.1-rc3

September 24: 3.3.1
  - If we need to do an -rc3 then this will be the final release.

If you are interested in helping test the release, please send me an
email with the platform you can test on. Also, if anyone is interested
in helping with the script / build system changes that may be required,
let me know too.

Thanks,
Tom

Hi,

The number of stable patches has slowed down in the last few weeks, and
we are approaching the halfway point between 3.3 and 3.4, so I think now
is a good time to start planning for the 3.3.1 release. Here is the
tentative schedule:

September 3: 3.3.1-rc1
  - This won't actually be a 'real' Release Candidate. The purpose of
    rc1 will be to update and test the release scripts and build system
    to make sure they work properly with dot releases. I will still
    accept stable patches until rc2

September 10: 3.3.1-rc2
  - The first 'real' release candidate. Qualification testing will
    begin and only patches that fix regressions since 3.3 will be
    accepted.

It took me a little longer than I thought, but I think I have the release
testing script working with the dot releases, so I will try to tag rc2
tomorrow. However, we need more testers, especially for ARM, so if you
are interested in testing send me an email. The testing process is
mostly automated, so all it really requires is some spare CPU cycles.

Thanks,
Tom

> Hi,
>
> The number of stable patches has slowed down in the last few weeks, and
> we are approaching the halfway point between 3.3 and 3.4, so I think now
> is a good time to start planning for the 3.3.1 release. Here is the
> tentative schedule:
>
> September 3: 3.3.1-rc1
> - This won't actually be a 'real' Release Candidate. The purpose of
> rc1 will be to update and test the release scripts and build system
> to make sure they work properly with dot releases. I will still
> accept stable patches until rc2
>
>
> September 10: 3.3.1-rc2
> - The first 'real' release candidate. Qualification testing will
> begin and only patches that fix regressions since 3.3 will be
> accepted.
>

It took me a little longer than I thought, but I think I have the release
testing script working with the dot releases, so I will try to tag rc2
tomorrow. However, we need more testers, especially for ARM, so if you
are interested in testing send me an email. The testing process is
mostly automated, so all it really requires is some spare CPU cycles.

I have created the rc2 tag, so testing can begin. We could still use
testers, so if you are interested, let me know. The testing is pretty
simple, and you can find detailed instructions here:
http://llvm.org/docs/ReleaseProcess.html

Since rc1 was a practice release candidate, you will want to compare the
test results from 3.3.1-rc2 with 3.3 final. There is a new argument for
the test-release.sh script: -dot for specifying the dot release number,
so when testing 3.3.1-rc2 you should invoke the script like this:

./test-release.sh -release 3.3 -dot 1 -rc 2 <other options>

Note that the updated test-release.sh script only exists in the 3.3
branch at the moment.

Testers, when you have completed building -rc2 tar up the binaries and
upload them somewhere so I post them on llvm.org and make them
available to the general public. If you have any questions, let me
know.

Thanks,
Tom

Hi,

An update on the 3.3.1 release:

There was one regression in -rc2 (which has been resolved), so there will be
an -rc3. However, I am going to hold off on creating -rc3 until we can
get more testers. We could use testers on any platform, but these are
the critical platforms that we are missing testers for:

Linux x86 and x86-64 on Debian and Ubuntu 12.04
FreeBSD
ARM Cortex-A9 on Linux

If you are interested in testing let me know.

Thanks,
Tom