LLVM9 ABI stablity past RC3

Hello,

In our project we planned to use LLVM 9. Due to its release delay and our own release deadline we decided to take RC3 and update it to final LLVM 9 release thereafter. The problem is we are dedicated to keep stable ABI in our project.

Considering above I have two questions:

1. Will LLVM ABI be stable between RC3 and final release?

2. Are there any rough estimates for final relase date?

I'll glad if anyone can help. Thank you.

Emerson

Hi Emerson,

In our project we planned to use LLVM 9. Due to its release delay and our own release deadline we decided to take RC3 and update it to final LLVM 9 release thereafter. The problem is we are dedicated to keep stable ABI in our project.

Considering above I have two questions:

1. Will LLVM ABI be stable between RC3 and final release?

There's no such guarantee, but I'm also not currently aware of any
change that would break you.

You can see the changes that have gone in after rc3 in the git monorepo:

$ git log llvmorg-9.0.0-rc3..origin/release/9.x

If you want to reduce the difference between the version you pick and
the final release, would basing your release on the tip of the
release/9.x branch be an option?

2. Are there any rough estimates for final relase date?

I'm still waiting to hear back about a few issues. It could be next
week, but it could also slip more. I'm sorry, but it's hard to give a
better estimate than that.

I hope that helps,
Hans