LLVMdev Digest, Vol 61, Issue 25

Hi Anton,

The problem is in getting the system configured. Below is the crash I get in configure. Your comment regarding gnuwin32 not being needed is interesting - I actually installed gnu bison/flex to get past an earlier crash in configure.

Thats why I was suggesting that a precompiled OBJ_ROOT for MingW32 would be a good idea - configure appears to be inherently fragile, and requires more expertise than I have to get past it if it does fail.

Configure looking like a fragile thing, and windows programmers (like myself) lacking unix expertise to work arround it if it fails - the configure script is 1MB in size - 36000+ lines - which is pretty daunting.

I am getting the exact same crash for the configure script for libjit as well by the way, so I know it's my fault. But I'm not sure whats broken. Do I have a bad version of 'sed' or something?

I am already using MinGW for my own work, so my basic configuration works well enough. I installed msys1.0 so I could build llvm, but have no other need for it. If I could get at a pre-built OBJ_ROOT, I still wouldn't need it I believe.

NB: The configure script for libjit is 800K

Hello, Lance

Your comment regarding gnuwin32 not being needed is interesting -
I actually installed gnu bison/flex to get past an earlier crash in
configure.

Which version of LLVM you're building?

(c:/mingw/bin/../lib/gcc/mingw32/4.3.3/../../../../mingw32/bin/ld.ex

mingw32 gcc 4.x should be considered as 'alpha'. 3.4.5 is known to be stable.

This might give you the needed information about LLVM build on mingw32:
http://blogs.tedneward.com/2008/02/24/Building+LLVM+On+Windows+Using+MinGW32.aspx

Some stuff listed there is not needed anymore (flex / bison) and some
versions are definitely not up to date, but otherwise it's pretty
clear.

LOL, Hi Anton,

LLVM-2.5 - should have been the first thing I said. Sorry bout that.

I had actually read that www site, but hadn't recognised your name. Pretty much duplicates my own experience. Anyway, I haven't followed the instructions through carefully, as I am finding it difficult to locate the downloads listed - from march 2008. MinGW doesn't seem to have a single coherent point of download as far as I can tell.

mingw gcc version as you ask is 4.3.3 - but I have the llvm-gcc compilers to avoid any issue there if/when I get that far. A couple of hours ago it was 3.4.5 - I ended up with 4.3.3 when I used an msys1.0 image I downloaded somewhere.

I will follow that site - excluding the last three "tad tricky" ones - bison/flex/regex - which you say should not be needed. Actually those three look like the workarround I needed to get arround the first crash I saw in configure.

When I get this building I can zip up the resultant OBJ_ROOT and pass it back if llvm.org has somewhere to host it - I add that I intend to use llvm-gcc to build which should suit. Interested? :slight_smile:

Hello, Lance

10:46:08.20 C: mingw32-make
gcc -IC:/MinGW/include -g -c que.cc
que.cc:1:19: stdio.h: No such file or directory
que.cc:2:20: stdlib.h: No such file or directory
que.cc:3:20: string.h: No such file or directory

Have you really unpacked mingw-runtime and w32api tarballs? It seems you didn't.

Hello, Lance

With regards to my original problem, still requires flex/bison to configure,
and I have installed. The problem that brought me to the list turns out to
be that I have a copy of borland/inprises grep tool on the path (which I use
a lot).

Heh, name clashing is well-known problem. Another source of such
problems is 'sort' util.

Probably not an issue, but I see in the coding standards chris likes
warnings to be treated like errors. Is there something else I am missing?
Perhaps an env setting to disable those warnings?

The mentioned stl_uninitialized warnings are harmless and comes from
compiler bug. Unfortunately, there is no way to "turn them off".