MLIR Bay Area Developer Summit

Hey,

We will be holding an in-person only developer summit in the Bay area on October 5th. This summit will consist primarily of round table discussions with potentially some accompanying short presentations. The focus is on bringing the MLIR community together for more high bandwidth discussion.

There are many potential topics but want to best cater it to attendees’s interest. Please complete this form if interested!.

Best regards,

Jacques and Mehdi

3 Likes

I don’t suppose this can be organized closer to the LLVM dev meeting?

3 Likes

Good question, we considered that but it made more sense to have roundtable there if closer and so make it part of rather than separate but close. These should be complementary though and maybe feed forward into dev meeting roundtable planning.

I do know a number of people who are planning to travel to the dev meeting and have asked individually if there are any plans to meet ad-hoc before/after.

Especially given how sparse personal contact had been for the last years, +1 on doing anything we can to help people connect more around the dev meeting.

2 Likes

Being closer to the dev meeting would help a lot include more people outside of the bay area, but with travel policies/budgets patchy, it still would help if notes were taken and considerations could be filed after, to make sure we don’t converge into a bay-area only decision making system.

100% agreed yes. COVID protocols, ability to travel, comfort of being in a room etc all considerations. And definitely decision making is still on the forums/code review.

1 Like

That’s an excellent point: we should really be friendly to non-local, and more so non-US based people: travelling once for both event seems like a huge benefit. Having them close but not close enough like that is somehow forcing people to choose (or spend money and carbon…).

Having on the same week, potentially one day before/after would make travel planning a lot easier.

2 Likes

I may also overestimate the scope of the event…

How about turning this into a “monthly meeting/social” (we used to have those for LLVM, didn’t we?) The next one would be adjacent to the dev meeting.

2 Likes

Yes indeed, its not anywhere near in scope of LLVM dev meeting :slight_smile: I like the idea of making it recurring. Currently folks mostly meet at C4ML/CGO and LLVM dev meetings in person (so 0-3 times depending on ability to travel and location), having some more intermediate points was a goal. Virtual/open is still the most accessible and we shouldn’t have closed groups, but it is nice to meet in person.

1 Like

The LLVM Foundation is happy to help with this if its wanted/needed. I’ve been considering expanding the LLVM Dev Mtg next year to have additional workshops colocated with it that even include other communities (i.e. Rust, Swift, etc). We already have a pre-conference workshop with Community.o. More lead time is usually better to make sure we can get more space if needed, hire videographers for recording, etc.

3 Likes

Unfortunately I and other Modular folk won’t be able to make this date - we have a company-wide out of town event on the same day. I’d love to come though if the date moves though!

1 Like

+1 to colocate with the dev meeting.

Great, thanks! We’ll follow up with you on this.

++ to colocate

I would also appreciate if this was colocated with the LLVM dev meeting to reduce travel.

Just to keep folks in the loop: we are working on finalizing the logistics for moving close to LLVM dev meeting (most likely day after). While the exact details is TBD, it won’t be in October.

2 Likes

See Rescheduled MLIR Bay Area Developer Summit [Nov 10, 2022]

1 Like