if ( p)

/* code path#1 */

return 0;

else {

/* code path#2 */

return 1;

}

}

1. What is the best solution to get the string representation of the expression of a return statement?

2. Because I want to perform some transformation with return statements I have to figure out if they are enclosed in a block?

The example above should be transformed in something like

int foo(int p) {

if ( p) { /* <---- */

/* do some processing … */

return 0;

} /* <— */

else {

/* do some processing … */

return 1;

}

}

Any hints or pointers are welcome.

Thanks

Marcel

You’ll probably want to take a look at libtooling:
https://clang.llvm.org/docs/LibTooling.html

Manuel, thanks for your help. Of course I went already through a bunch of documentation including libtooling.
My tool is performing now the basic setup and can transform some simple cases.

Do you know by chance how to retrieve the ASTContext from a ReturnStmt and a FuncDecl?

BTW: Your presentation at the EURO LLVM was very helpful!

Greetings from Munich

Marcel

Manuel, thanks for your help. Of course I went already through a bunch of documentation including libtooling.
My tool is performing now the basic setup and can transform some simple cases.

Do you know by chance how to retrieve the ASTContext from a ReturnStmt and a FuncDecl?

Generally, if you use AST matchers you’ll have the ASTContext in the callback. What exactly is the problem you’re running into?

BTW: Your presentation at the EURO LLVM was very helpful!

Thanks! :slight_smile:

At the moment I am using the ASTConsumer/ASTVisitor interface. But I am planing to switch to AST matchers asap.
After scratching my head for a while I found the solution for my problem. It was just a misunderstanding of the inheritance tree.

Thanks for your help

Marcel

If you need a starting template for AST matchers, https://github.com/firolino/clang-tool might be useful for you.

Looks promising. Thanks Marcel