New pass manager for optimization pipeline status and questions

Just wanted to comment that I’m thrilled to see us at this point finally. This is long overdue. Arthur, thank you for all the work making this happen!

Philip

To echo the others’ replies, the timeline is not fixed but we’re looking at flipping the default in opt as soon as the AMDGPU issues are addressed, and the CMake option shortly after that - order of within a week. Variations on the timeline depend on the bugs being filed in the meantime, hence the importance of testing and bug filing in the next couple of weeks. The bugs that are not addressed before the switch would still be worked on after.

As others have said, the cmake option to continue to use the legacy pass manager will remain in place, and the legacy pass manager code will not be removed from the tree for months after, while the transition stabilises. There’s also the option to revert the switch once made for major regressions that may turn up, but the hope is to not get too many last minute surprises.

Hello,

Thanks for the update and elaborating on this. I am generally okay with the direction of switching when the blockers are resolved (and the timeline).
After the code-size problems, we have now increased our efforts to look at performance and are filing our reports. I just wanted to reiterate that we are looking at severe and generic problems/regressions that should affect all targets, which I think need to be solved first. We have made quite some progress and are looking at the last code base but that has the biggest regressions. I hope that we will have filled all our blockers next week, so that we can make up the balance of blockers in a week time.

It’s understood we could fall back to the legacy pass manager, but I hope that such a divergence is a last-resort that we don’t need to use.

Cheers,
Sjoerd.

Hi guys,

Just to let you know that we are happy to switch to the NPM as all our issues have been analysed, raised, or fixed.
Great stuff. Many thanks for working on this, and also for your help!
I am sure some things will pop up, but we will just deal with it then.

Cheers,
Sjoerd.