noalias and alias.scope metadata notations

Hi all,

In LLVM language reference I read that one can use noalias and alias.scope metadata to provide more detailed information about pointer aliasing. However, I am not clear about how the notations should be. Am I right that all load instruction should have !alias.scope at the end and all store instruction should have !noalias at the end? If yes, why? If I understand it correctly, aliasing information should be static (i.e. one !alias.scope and !noalias should be enough for each variable).

Thanks,
Whitney

Hi Whitney,

The aliasing information conveyed by alias.scope and noalias is static, but each do provide lists of alias scopes (in different distinct domains). I think that this is easiest to understand in the context of translating noalias function parameters into the representation of the metadata.

Let's assume we have a function like this:
void foo(float* noalias p, float *noalias q, float* r, bool b) {
  float *t = b ? p : q;
  *r = *t;
}

To translate the 'noalias' function parameter attributes into metadata (which we do when inlining, see AddAliasScopeMetadata in lib/Transforms/Utils/InlineFunction.cpp). We add one alias scope for each noalias function parameter, so here we have two scopes: one for p and one for q. These scopes are used to indicate pointer accesses that derive from those pointers.

In this example, consider the access *t. This pointer might be derived from p or from q, and so it gets both scopes in its !alias.scope metadata. Now consider the access to *r. We know that it does not derive from either p or q, so it gets both scopes in its !noalias metadata list. Conceptually speaking, the !alias.scope list is an "or", and the !noalias list is an "and".

-Hal