Options for tagging function in source

Hi,

I'm investigating possible solutions for tagging one or more functions of interest within C / C++ source code. By using clang I'd like to get the name of the tagged function. I "only" have two requirements:

- Not much more code required for tagging (best case is a one-liner)
- Implementation should be a clang plugin

So far there are three ideas how to achieve this:

1. Use #pragma tag <NameOfTag>. This would be the preferred solution, but as far as I have seen clang does not support #pragma plugins. Or is this information wrong and plugins for pragmas can be done somewhow?

2. Use __attribute__. Here I'm not sure whether, e.g.

void foo(args) __attribute__((tag <NameOfTag>))

is usable within clang, since I wasn't able to implement this for instance by using hasAttr() within a ASTConsumer, the return value is always false.

3. Use a label, e.g. tag_<NameOfTag>:. Right now this is the solution I'm using, but here I have to ensure that no one re-uses this label which is rather hard to achieve, although I assume that no one uses labels within C / C++ these days, but you never know.

So, maybe I'm missing something (or my assumptions are wrong) and it would be nice to get some feedback regarding this.

Thanks,
Sebastian

Hi, Sebastian. I'd suggest using the [[annotate]] attribute, then checking each declaration afterwards to see if it has the tag. That requires no changes to the existing code, just an ASTConsumer in your plugin.

void test(int) __attribute__((annotate("NameOfTag")));

Best,
Jordy

Hi Jordy,

thanks. This works as expected.

Cheers,
Sebastian

So, maybe I'm missing something (or my assumptions are wrong) and it
would be nice to get some feedback regarding this.

clang already supports "annotate" attribute. See e.g.
http://llvm.org/devmtg/2011-11/Gregor_ExtendingClang.pdf for more
information