Outreachy & Google Summer of Code Brainstorming

Hello!

I’m considering having a couple virtual meetups in the next week or so to talk about the upcoming sessions of Google Summer of Code and Outreachy. One goal of these virtual meetups would be to explain the programs (and their differences and requirements) and help answer questions about being a mentor and coming up with a good project. We could also do another round for students who are interested in working on an LLVM GSOC project.

I’m interested in brainstorming how we can improve our project lists, encourage new mentors, and to improve the experience for the participants of either program. I would also like to see how we can get more participants to continue their contributions to LLVM after the mentorship program has ended.

Does anyone have any ideas to share or thoughts about this? Does a virtual meetup like this seem like a good idea or would anyone like to help me?

The organization application periods for both are either open or opening soon (Feb).

5 Likes

I’d be interested in participating in a virtual meetup, I could help organize. It might also be useful to have former participants and mentors talk about their experiences.

2 Likes

I would be interested in participating as well.
I can talk about my experience last year as a mentor for an Outreachy project.

1 Like

Yes, I agree. I’ll see if I can reach out to last year’s mentors of GSOC.