[PATCH][Review request] tablegen: extend list fields

The attached patch adds a construct that enables extending the base class’ lists rather than completely overwriting them.
The patch hasn’t gone through extensive testing yet (other than running make check).

The lists can be extended either with a “+=” operator in a let statement or placing a '"+" in front of a superclass:

• Example 1:

def D0 : C1 {
let Predicates += [P2]; // Append P2 to C1’s Predicates
}

• Example 2:

def D0 : C1, +AddP1;

Using a real example, MOVi16 (in ARMInstrInfo.td) which is defined as

def MOVi16 : AI1<0b1000, (outs GPR:$Rd), (ins imm0_65535_expr:$imm),
DPFrm, IIC_iMOVi,
“movw”, “\t$Rd, $imm”,
[(set GPR:$Rd, imm0_65535:$imm)]>,
Requires<[IsARM, HasV6T2]>, UnaryDP {

can be rewritten to this:

class PredHasV6T2 {
list Predicates = [HasV6T2];
}

def MOVi16 : AI1<0b1000, (outs GPR:$Rd), (ins imm0_65535_expr:$imm),
DPFrm, IIC_iMOVi,
“movw”, “\t$Rd, $imm”,
[(set GPR:$Rd, imm0_65535:$imm)]>,
+PredHasV6T2, UnaryDP {

Since AI1 already has “IsARM” in its predicate list, MOVi16 just has to extend the list with [HasV6T2].

Also, I changed the last statement of ListRecTy::convertValue (in lib/TableGen/Record.cpp) to pass the element type of the list rather than the list type.
I would appreciate if someone could take a look at this code and tell me whether this is correct.

tblgen-list1.patch (7.86 KB)

tblgen-test0.td (738 Bytes)

If you are changing the syntax, please update the BNF in the comments.

--Sean Silva

Please take a look at the attached patch.

I updated the BNF and added comments in the code.

tblgen-list2.patch (9.15 KB)

I think the “let … += …” seems reasonable, but the “+Base” when inheriting seems like it is extremely error prone. Correct me if I’m wrong, but the “+Base” basically makes all list fields extend, which I think is a bit dangerous, since it’s a “global” effect where all the inherited fields are appended, meaning that it is not effectively composable; this works OK in the case you gave, but I have doubts about its general usefulness (not that that would be out of place in TableGen, unfortunately :frowning: ).

–Sean Silva