Patterns generation with optional operands struggle

Hi there, MLIR community. I was struggling with ops and patterns with optional operands and thought to share it with you. I wrote an op with optional operand using tablegen that looks like this:

def Conv2Op : Op<FrontendDialect, "conv2d", []> {
  let summary = "2D Convolution operation";
  let description = [{}];
  let arguments = (ins AnyTensor:$input, AnyTensor:$filter, Optional<AnyTensor>:$bias,
                   I32ArrayAttr:$kernel, I32ArrayAttr:$stride,
                   I32ArrayAttr:$padding, I32ArrayAttr:$dilation,
                   AnyI32Attr:$num_groups
                  );
  let results = (outs AnyTensor:$result);
  let assemblyFormat = "$input `,` $filter `,` $bias attr-dict `:` type($input) `,` type($filter) `,` type($bias) `,` type($result)";
  let hasCanonicalizer = 1;
}

As you can see “bias” is an optional tensor. After compilation the generated builder looks like this:

void Conv2Op::build(::mlir::OpBuilder &odsBuilder, ::mlir::OperationState &odsState, ::mlir::Type result, ::mlir::Value input, ::mlir::Value filter, /*optional*/::mlir::Value bias, ::mlir::ArrayAttr kernel, ::mlir::ArrayAttr stride, ::mlir::ArrayAttr padding, ::mlir::ArrayAttr dilation, ::mlir::IntegerAttr num_groups) {
  odsState.addOperands(input);
  odsState.addOperands(filter);
  if (bias)
    odsState.addOperands(bias);
  odsState.addAttribute(kernelAttrName(odsState.name), kernel);
  odsState.addAttribute(strideAttrName(odsState.name), stride);
  odsState.addAttribute(paddingAttrName(odsState.name), padding);
  odsState.addAttribute(dilationAttrName(odsState.name), dilation);
  odsState.addAttribute(num_groupsAttrName(odsState.name), num_groups);
  odsState.addTypes(result);
}

Which implies that If I don’t want to have the bias tensor, I will pass nullptr instead.
I wrote a pattern using tablegen that takes Conv2Op with bias tensor and defuse it into Conv2Op+AddOp with nullptr as bias in the result pattern. It looks like this:

def nullArg : NativeCodeCall<"nullptr">;
def ConvWithBias : Pat<
    (Conv2Op:$res1 $input, $filter, $bias, $kernel, $stride, $padding, $dilation, $num_groups),
    (AddOp:$res3 ($bias), (Conv2Op:$res2 $input, $filter, (nullArg), $kernel, $stride, $padding, $dilation, $num_groups)),
    [(NotNullPred $bias)]>;

There are a couple of problems with the generated code for this pattern.

1. The generated pattern is not using Conv2Op::build explicitly. The generated builder is a generic builder for “Op” and then it attempts to dynamically cast it to Conv2Op. This builder dereferences all operands and therefore causing segmentation fault when I pass nullptr. It looks like this:
res2 = rewriter.create<::mlir::fe::Conv2Op>(odsLoc, tblgen_values, tblgen_attrs);

which calls this code in include/mlir/IR/Builders.h

/// Create an operation of specific op type at the current insertion point.
  template <typename OpTy, typename... Args>
  OpTy create(Location location, Args &&...args) {
    OperationState state(location,
                         getCheckRegisteredInfo<OpTy>(location.getContext()));
    OpTy::build(*this, state, std::forward<Args>(args)...);
    auto *op = createOperation(state);
    auto result = dyn_cast<OpTy>(op);
    assert(result && "builder didn't return the right type");
    return result;
  }

A way to work around this is to use NativeCodeCall and call the op’s builder, although this method has its own problems. I would be happy if the generated code for Pat<> could call the correct builder seamlessly, or even just accept null operands.

1. When passing “$bias” tensor to the result pattern in:
AddOp:$res3 ($bias)

As I analyze the generated code, this operand should be referred as:

auto nativeVar_0 = *bias.begin();

But for some reason, because this is an optional operand, it gerenates this instead:

auto nativeVar_0 = bias;

which creates compilation error when trying to push this value to the tblgen_values list:

tblgen_values.push_back(nativeVar_0);

So to work around this I had to manually inject this code to the pattern like this:

def biasDeref : NativeCodeCall<"*bias.begin()">;
def ConvWithBias : Pat<
… (AddOp:$res3 (biasDeref), …>;

For an infrastructure that aims to simplify pattern matching, I wish would be easier to work with optional operands.
Right now as I see it the best option is to write the pattern in CPP instead of tablegen.

1 Like

Could you try putting the optional operand at the end of the argument list? The generated C++ builder might have a default argument bias = Value() in that case. This might be preventing DRR from calling that builder and causing it to fallback to the default builder.

I have tried that, but still it doesn’t choose the correct builder. Also it seems logical to put the optional operand at the end of the operands list and not after the arguments.

Ah, I see. It’s possible DRR simply has poor support for optional operands…