Performance of JIT execution

Hello,

I recently noticed a performance issue of JIT execution vs native code of the following simple logic which computes the Fibonacci sequence:

uint64_t fib(int n) {
if (n <= 2) {
return 1;
} else {
return fib(n-1) + fib(n-2);
}
}

When compiled natively using clang++ with -O3, it took 0.17s to compute fib(40). However, when executing using LLJIT, fed with the IR output of “clang++ -emit-llvm -O3”, it took 0.26s.

I don’t know much about the internals of LLJIT, but my guess is since the IR is the same, maybe LLJIT used a cheaper but lower quality instruction selection pass, resulting in the slower runtime? Could someone working on LLJIT clarify the difference in lowering passes between LLJIT and clang++? And if I were to change this behavior, which APIs should I look at to begin with?

Thanks for your time!

Best regards,

Haoran

Hi Haoran,

LLJIT uses CodeGenOpt::Default by default, whereas I suspect -O3 uses CodeGenOpt::Aggressive. You can configure this by setting/modifying the JITTargetMachineBuilder member of your LLJITBuilder before calling create.

You can also try attaching a DumpObjects instance to your JIT to dump the JIT’d objects to disk: sometimes comparing objects can offer useful insights. You can find an example of this in llvm/examples/OrcV2Examples/LLJITDumpObjects.

Regards,
Lang.

Thanks for the clarification Lang! I didn’t know about CodeGenOpt before. I’ll give it a try to see if it fixes the issue.

Thanks again!
Haoran

Lang Hames <lhames@gmail.com> 于2020年9月6日周日 下午11:03写道: